What's new

First purchase?

So I'm seeing a lamy safari with a fine nib, the converter, noodlers black ink, and the clairefontaine 1951 notebook.

How's it sound?

Take a look at the Lamy Nexx M. I prefer the grip and its looks to the Safari, but maybe that's just me. The Pilot Metropolitan would also be a solid pen choice. I'd go with something (Pelikan 4001, Waterman, Quink, Pilot Iroshizuku, Sailor, Diamine, Lamy) other than Noodler's ink personally, but many have good luck with Noodler's black.

Don't be surprised if ink drys slowly on Clairefontaine paper. It will dry a little quicker on Rhodia paper, which is made by Clairefontaine. The best paper I've used so far is Franklin-Christoph or Staples Arc M notebook paper. They're absorbent enough to allow ink to dry quickly, but ink deosn't feather and bleed. Clairefontaine and Rhodia are both great, however. I have a stock of both.

-Andy

Last edited:
So I'm seeing a lamy safari with a fine nib, the converter, noodlers black ink, and the clairefontaine 1951 notebook.

How's it sound?

There's certainly nothing wrong with those choices. In fact, that was basically my first set-up (other than the 50 y.o. Sheaffer school pens I had left over from back then). I now have 3 Lamys (red, blue, and charcoal black each with a matching color of ink). Just today I did get a Noodler's Ahab flex pen but that was with a view to using it for shaded work (Spencerian and Pitman shorthand). The only other low price range pen I am looking at is the Pilot 78G.

I have been using the Lamy Safari with an Extra Fine nib for over a year now.

I am not a collector of pens. I am a user.

I spent my working life as a title searcher writing --- with a fountain pen.

The Lamy is everything I could ever want in a fountain pen.

'Nuff said?

Mickey

No matter what you pick, someone else might have preferred a different, pen, ink, paper, or all three. Your choices look fine to me, very practical for daily use.

I have a lamy safari loaded with noodlers, and it is a good combo for me. It sees daily use at work and also gets tossed in my jeans pocket on the weekends. It hasn't skipped a beat, or picked up any scratches. Great pen.

I use a Lamy vista with noodlers black at work and haven't had any problems. Ink dries quickly and is bulletproof as claimed. I've seen my written stuff at work go through the dishwasher and frozen for months and still been very legible.
I use a fine nib also

I haven't tried a Lamy (I went with the Pilot Metro for my starter setup after trying an Ohto F-Spirit and hating it. I really like my Metros), but your setup sounds just peachy.

Top Bottom