What's new

1897 Razor Ad for Co. promoting Sheffield Razor Trade w/ USA

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
From the Pulp Fiction Newspaper dated December 1897 "Good Literature" F.M. Lupton N.Y.

Advertising near the back of this issue ( I have several hundred liquidating for a client's estate )
was a pretty nice offer for Americans to get their hands on some Sheffield Steel. The razor illustrated is
some generic form of a W&B Chopper with the whole Patriotic America theme which Sheffield makers for a time catered to. 5000 RAZORS GIVEN AWAY! Shouts the Ad! The ad even suggests sending them 10 cnts Silver or Stamps for a cake of shaving soap. Read the rest from the physical scan I took. GREAT period almost Medicine show type promo.

Also shown is a $10 bill that would have been in circulation at the time that the ad suggests men pay up to that amount for fine razors.

Attachments

• $razoradvert.jpg
    $razoradvert.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
  • $TEN$bill1897.jpg
    $TEN$bill1897.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 93

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My question is................ Who here owns one of these Soap promo gold encrusted scales Patriotic Sheffields??????????

Very cool. Kinda amazing they just gave these razors away. Maybe $10 was an overstatement of the value, just like promo values are overstated today, but that was a looooot of money back then.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Very cool. Kinda amazing they just gave these razors away. Maybe $10 was an overstatement of the value, just like promo values are overstated today, but that was a looooot of money back then.

A $10 razor would have been like a guy buying a $230 razor today...

I've seen an identical razor on eBay before, but it was in poor condition and since those scales are collectable, went for way more than I'd have ever paid.

I'm also pretty sure this razor was not exclusive to this offer.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Here's one for Torrey Strop from "The Saturday Evening Post" September 22, 1905

Attachments

• $TORREYStrop.jpg
    $TORREYStrop.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom