What's new

Super fast Rust Spots?

The first time it happened, I thought it was my imagination (3 shaves ago), then today's shave....

I started out with a nice, clean, spotless 6/8 Ralf Aust Spanish point, carbon I believe. After I got done shaving, I laid it down OPEN on a folded towel as I rinse off the remaining lather from my face. Even BEFORE I put a towel on my face to dry it, I go to dry my blade with a microfiber cloth only to discover SPOTS! Spots on the blade that remain after I pass the clothe and won't come off, and the more I wiped this time, the greener the spots started turning, just a few from mid-blade to spine. I had to go out to a meeting, so I just dried off as much I can and put a light coat of extra virgin olive oil on it before heading out. I got home after work and put a jeweler's loupe to take a look and sure enough, those look like rust spots now that it went from green earlier to a faint brown. Surprisingly, my blade didn't fell oily at all, but a bit normal. I put some Silvo polish on it and got the spots out.

But how can rust form this fast?! Especially since I live in Southern California's Inland Empire (about 50 miles east of the coast).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yeah, same has happened here with 1-2 razors. I now clean and dry the razor first thing after shaving, and then wash my face.
I guess the steel of some straights is just more prone to rust.

i'm no expert, but is it possible that there actually were small rust spots already forming on the blade before you shaved today? the blade might have looked clean, but under a loop those pits might have been developing. also consider how you store your blades. for the carbon blades, i use the silicon socks as well as a wipe with baby oil on the metal.

There are a lot of factors that can affect how rust forms. Its unfortunately one of those things with straight razors that requires constant vigilance

Ive only had one encounter like this. My henkotsu Kamisori rusted during the honing session, so I know to be extra careful when shaving with that one and dry it constantly.

It's the high carbon content in the steel that causes the fast rusting. To prevent this, I always coat my razors with a thin coat of mineral oil after I'm done shaving.

I have a dovo that for some reason I "sanded" a bit with 9micron lapping film... I tried to get the "best quality" etch off... didn't work.
Anyway, I didn't use finer film and I believe that surface area is rough enough that it traps water during the shave and spots form in no time.
That was not the case prior to that experiment.

I cleaned it, oiled it and one day I will polish it with finer films until hopefully it would remedy it.

I think there is a metal treatment chemical that can help repel water from "sticking" to the blade.

Rust happens. I don't worry about it anymore and keep my tetanus shot up to date. ;-) Between passes, I rinse the blade off and gently wipe it with a bar towel using my patented method. After shaving, it is briefly stropped and left to air-dry while opened on its spine. Before storing it away, it is dipped in a concoction of 1 pt. USP mineral oil to 4 pts. denatured alcohol, being careful not to let the alcohol in solution touch the scales. A few minutes later, or once the alcohol scent has evaporated, it is put away. All of this sounds a lot more time consuming than it really is, as it happens at different times during the day.

Same thing happened to my Ralf Aust 5/8" on my second shave with it. I used some toothpaste, as some people had suggested, and it's mostly gone. Now I've developed the habit of wiping the blade on a towel right after running it under water and it hasn't happened again.

Lots of good advise here. Some steels will rust much faster than others. Even in the family of high carbon steels some are more prone to rust quickly. The brake rotors on my car for instance will rust in the time it takes to wash the car! Our razors work in a horrible environment. The moisture from skin is full of salts and other nasties that jump start rust. Our sweat is actually a touch acidic further increasing the chance for rust. Then just to make things worse, any spot that has started will be more prone to rust! That is why its complete removal is so important.

I've had the same issue with my Ralf Aust. And I have always kept it oiled with Balistol in between shaves. I used a Q-tip and some Flitz to remove a majority of the discoloration. If you look close enough you can still see where they were though.

Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I have 2 Ralf Austs and haven't experienced rust yet on those or any of my other straights. In case this can help someone, I'll post my setup:

When I shave, I keep a once-folded barbers towel just to the left of the sink (I'm left handed) and put the straight under the first layer as I prep my face (to avoid splashing on it). When ready, I uncover it, run it under hot water (no higher than the shoulder) then pinch/wipe it between both layers of the towel. Then for each pass, I rinse and pinch/wipe dry and "hide" it in the towel again if washing my face/reapplying cream or soap. After the last pass, I dry it again and look it over for any rogue splashes, fold it and put it in the stand with the brush on the opposite wall away from the sink before rinsing my face and doing the post-shave and cleanup. Note that I keep another barbers towel folded longways directly in front of the sink that I use to dry my fingers before handling the straight again while shaving. When I switch to another straight (usually after a week or two), I strop, apply SRD's oil, and put it back in a (pen) case that stores all of my straights. Note that all of these things stay in a bathroom that lacks a ceiling ventilation fan, so I'd assume I have potential for rust. All 8 straights are carbon steel.

Top Bottom