What's new

DE newb from Vancouver, BC area signing in! Looking for some brick and mortar sources

Yeah! Comin' at you live from Mission, British Columbia, Canadia, but since nobody outside BC knows where the hell that is, we'll say I'm from Vancouver!

So I've been shaving with a safety razor (upgraded from cartridge) for just about 3 weeks now, and man, I wish I had done this earlier. I got the idea from a poster over on another forum I post on, who is a shaving/tobacco/flyfishing enthusiast. Best grooming-related move I've ever made.

I ordered a starter kit over at Maggard Razors to get the ball rolling, which was great, nice and cheap, but I can tell I'm heading down a slippery slope straight into a wonderfully scented money pit -_-

Anyhow. This may not be the right place for this, but for the last few weeks I have been looking EVERYWHERE for some sort of store in the Lower Mainland BC area that has more than rudimentary shaving supplies. More specifically, I am dying to get my hands on some new aftershaves! I've already been using Old Spice for a years, I love it, its great, but since I've gotten into wetshaving, I've taken a deeper interest in this. Specifically, a couple articles over at ArtOfManliness.com have piqued my interest in Bay Rum, and the apparently classic Clubman line of products.

Problem is, here in Canada, neither that brand nor that scent seem to exist. Every drugstore I've been to has Aqua Velva, Brut, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and thats it. Maybe one or two types of shaving soap. The closest thing we have to a specialty store around here is House of Knives, and they seem to be limited to Taylor of Old Bond Street (a little too pricey for me to justify yet, and Col. Conk (of which I have purchased a couple soaps). I would love to get my hands on some Bay Rum, but shipping costs are brutal, and that's if they even ship here (some American sites won't ship alcohol across the border).

I'm wondering if there are any fellow British Columbians in the Vancouver area that know of any hidden gems that I might be able to get my hands on this stuff? I'm close to the border, but I am currently without passport, and am not about to go get one for a $7 bottle of aftershave.

Sorry for the ramble, that probably could have been more coherent, but it's been a long day. Thanks for listening, gents! It's my friends birthday tonight, we're hitting a dive bar, so I better go spruce myself up :biggrin1:

Welcome from Nova Scotia! Lived in Alberta for a number of years, and had a number of trips to BC while there. Beautiful country, and wonderful motorcycling!

I'm a newbie too, and didn't wet shave when I was out west, so can't help much with places local to you, but there's a place in Victoria that looks promising. http://thecopperhat.ca/

There are a number of good online vendors in Canada though. Fendrihan and Italian Barber come to mind.

Welcome from Nova Scotia! Lived in Alberta for a number of years, and had a number of trips to BC while there. Beautiful country, and wonderful motorcycling!

I'm a newbie too, and didn't wet shave when I was out west, so can't help much with places local to you, but there's a place in Victoria that looks promising. http://thecopperhat.ca/

There are a number of good online vendors in Canada though. Fendrihan and Italian Barber come to mind.

Fendrihan and Italian Barber:wink2:

Hi, Welcome. I live in Abbotsford and work in Mission. Sorry, not much available local.Best is to order online. Italian Barber is great and shipping is free if you order enough.(which is easy) Best Aftershave IMO, is from WM Neumann online. Not only does it smell awesome, but is very healing on the skin. Buy enough at one time and safe on shipping in the long run. Petal pushers fancies and Synergy make the most amazing soaps and AS

Welcome to the forum!

As some others have mentioned, the best place to order is on-line, Italian Barber or Fendrihan are the two best places in Canada, both in Ontario. Good luck

Just recalled that Sally Beauty Supply might have Bay Rum under the Pinaud-Clubman brand, which they carry. Looks like the store in Abbotsford is the closest to you.

Last edited:
Just recalled that Sally Beauty Supply might have Bay Rum under the Pinaud-Clubman brand, which they carry. Looks like the store in Abbotsford is the closest to you.

Hey, good to know! I'm going to check that out! Thanks for the responses guys. Glad to see some more Valley-folk here. If this Sally place doesn't have it, a coworker is going to Alaska in a couple weeks, he's going to grab a bottle if he sees some.

Top Bottom