What's new

Budget badger brush

I'm on the hunt for a budget badger brush. I've heard a lot of negative feedback about the Tweezerman brush so I've been searching elsewhere. Today I stumbled across this brush but can't find any reviews for it. Anyone had any experience with it? I've heard good things about Frank Shaving brushes.

$uploadfromtaptalk1397767811766.jpg

It's a pure badger brush for $12.

If you have your heart set on a badger I won't try to change your mind. There is an old saying I've learned from B&B. A premium grade boar beats a regular grade badger every time. If a quality boar interest you. Check out the Semogue from Vintage Scents. I've received two in the past month. The SOC and the Cerda. The Cerda is going to be my favorite and I have two silver tip badgers. As always YMMV

Ultimately I want to have one or two of each. I only have a synthetic brush at the moment and want to try badger and boar as well. Could you possibly post a link to a boar you would recommend? Thank you

Of course the $64k question is.......

how do you intend on building later with the new brush? Face or bowl?

I have a different answer for each option.

Try Whipped Dog. I've got one of his pure/black badger with just a resin handle. I think it's 22mm knot with a 55mm loft. It's a decent brush for the money. It's just a little to scratchy to me. I keep kicking around the idea of getting rid of it, but I'll use it every so often.

It's more than the FS brush though.

Q #2....

What constitutes "budget priced" to you?

To me, it means one brush that I am satisfied with rather than a dozen brushes that are cheap and rarely used.

This is more or less to try out a badger. At the moment it's hard to justify an expensive brush so no more than $20.

I would steer clear of any badger brushes in the $20 range. You can get a good boar and almost a good synth at that price point but I think you would be very disappointed in a $20 badger brush.

In the $20 range you can get a Semogue 1305 boar that is a very nice bowl brush (once it is broken in)

proxy.php

Omega 31064 is going to top $20 by a couple dollars but it is a larger brush than the Semogue if you want something with more hair

proxy.php

I don't have a recommendation for a decent bowl lathering badger brush under $50. Sure there are plenty priced below that point but I would not recomend any of them to you.

I would steer clear of any badger brushes in the $20 range. You can get a good boar and almost a good synth at that price point but I think you would be very disappointed in a $20 badger brush.

In the $20 range you can get a Semogue 1305 boar that is a very nice bowl brush (once it is broken in)

proxy.php

Omega 31064 is going to top $20 by a couple dollars but it is a larger brush than the Semogue if you want something with more hair

proxy.php

I don't have a recommendation for a decent bowl lathering badger brush under $50. Sure there are plenty priced below that point but I would not recomend any of them to you.

Plus One on the Disappointment with a 20.00 badger

I'm a budget-minded guy so I like finding value for the dollar. I went the Tweezerman route and that was a flop. While I agree that it is pretty hard to find a very good badger brush for under about $30 (Whipped Dod comes to mind) you may want to consider the Best Badger Brush from Stirling Soaps for $10.00. I ordered one just to roll the dice and I am pleasantly surprised. Soft tips, decent backbone, builds and holds plenty of lather. It is no frills and the handle is light but overall for $10... what the heck, give it a go.

proxy.php

I have to agree that for the money ($15-$25) a Semogue or Omega boar, or the B&B Essential boar (made by Omega?) for $20 is the way to go.

Top Bottom