What's new

A tale of two Wellingtons

I've purchased two Wellington's from the same UK vendor over the last few weeks and it would appear that not all Wellingtons are the same.

The first (in Faux Horn) would appear to be Rooney made (based upon the knot and lettering on the handle) whilst the second (in Ebony) appears to be a Vulfix made brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The knot is different (it has a 5mm higher loft, a noticeable glue bump and feels like Simpsons Best hair) and the lettering is the same as Vulfix have used in other brushes such as the Grosvenor LE 2-band brush.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, though.

My Ebony Wellington feels almost identical in use to my Simpsons 57 and that, for me, is a very good thing indeed. :)

Here's some pictures of the Faux Horn brush next to a M&F 1/2 and a Rooney 1/3 as well as the Ebony brush next to a Berkley and 57 for comparison:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for the link mate - I hadn't seen your post previously. :smile:

It's interesting to see that we've both come to the same conclusion independently.

This leads me to wonder if the Faux Horn brushes are of an older stock run by Rooney as all of the other T&H brushes offered for sale in the UK appear to be Vulfix made brushes. I guess we'll never know the answer to that question though due to commercial confidentiality.

Hello, I bought a Wellington brush from the T&F store on St-James street in London, 10 days ago, an ebony one. It looks like the Rooney type of brush. Here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality, it was taken with my mobile phone).

What is strange, is that it does not seem to have a lot of backbone neither density, for a Rooney brush (I don't own one, but I read they are supposed to be very dense). According to your opinion, is this a Vulfix or a Rooney?

$IMG-20140418-00091.jpg

$IMG-20140418-00092.jpg

$IMG-20140418-00095.jpg

Last edited:
I'd bet that's a Rooney brush.

If you look at the text on the back, your Wellington matches up with what Rooneys typically have. Here are mine:

$3b6be6052734e66ee0861429b292243b_zps91b66b29.jpg

Mine also doesn't have any backbone. But it is not a problem, I have other more "strong" brushes such as Colonel X2L and SOC 2 band. So I use T&F when I want to get the softest feeling, not everyday.

Top Bottom