What's new

Cursive or Print

When you write a letter or use your fountain pen do you use cursive or printing? Which do you think is more formal cursive or print? For those that print, why do you print over using cursive?

I write in cursive almost exclusively; it's what s in my muscle memory.
To me cursive is the more formal of the two scripts. I print when filling out forms, but that is about it.

I print. I am not sure why I started as I was schooled in cursive. Perhaps my time in the Service is when I abandoned cursive.

Before fountain pens, I printed exclusively, with the exception of my signature. Since I've picked up fountain pens, it's been a constant battle to improve my cursive handwriting (my printing was immaculate, lol). I've never looked back, and always use cursive unless filling out forms.

I can say this, when I exclusively printed, the reasoning for me was that it was neater and far more legible than my cursive at the time. Now, that's not an issue and with cursive I can write longer without hand fatigue.

I agree that cursive is more formal. Sadly, I only know enough to sign my name, and even then I have to guess a few letters. It got cut from the budget when I was in elementary school, so I never learned how. We were about half-way through the alphabet when it got cut, so my printing got stuck in some barely-legible twilight zone. I've had people tell me I should be a doctor, based on how terrible my handwriting is. Therefor, if I have to write a letter to someone who hasn't known me for a long time (and thus learned how to interpret my Cthulhu-eque scribblings), I type it. If I receive a letter written in cursive script, I usually have to have my fiancé translate it for me.

Last edited:
I agree that cursive is more formal. Sadly, I only know enough to sign my name, and even then I have to guess a few letters. It got cut from the budget when I was in elementary school, so I never learned how. We were about half-way through the alphabet when it got cut, so my printing got stuck in some barely-legible twilight zone. I've had people tell me I should be a doctor, based on how terrible my handwriting is. Therefor, if I have to write a letter to someone who hasn't known me for a long time (and thus learned how to interpret my Cthulhu-eque scribblings), I type it.

It has been completely eliminated from the curriculum in New York State.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Before fountain pens, I printed exclusively, with the exception of my signature. Since I've picked up fountain pens, it's been a constant battle to improve my cursive handwriting (my printing was immaculate, lol). I've never looked back, and always use cursive unless filling out forms.

I can say this, when I exclusively printed, the reasoning for me was that it was neater and far more legible than my cursive at the time. Now, that's not an issue and with cursive I can write longer without hand fatigue.

+1

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I print. I am not sure why I started as I was schooled in cursive. Perhaps my time in the Service is when I abandoned cursive.
Same here, Tony. Now retired, I love my fountain pens but I now admire those who can do cursive; I'm having to re-learn it.:sad:

Print all the way. I'm an Architect, and developed my printing style more than thirty years ago. I can print faster than most can write in cursive, and have just as much flourish with my style.

Odd mix of both here, unless I concentrate on one or the other.

+1

All my notes I've taken through college are essentially cursive with a mix of block letters here and there. Since I've been active duty military, my personal notes are STILL in my cursive/print mix. Any notes or forms I write for work are all in print. I'm still working on improving the look of my printing, but overall it's pretty legible - pretty important when people are trying to read the work I do on charts.

The few people with whom I occasionally exchange letters can read cursive. I prefer it, and feel more comfortable with it. On the other hand, if I don't know that someone is used to reading cursive, and I need to give them a handwritten note, then I'll print. After all, the point is to communicate.

Anything that I write for myself is in cursive, almost. If I'm recording some random series of letters and numbers, like a serial number, or recording an unfamiliar name or word with a spelling I've never encountered before, I may print so as to be sure of getting it right later.

Is formal the right word? At one time it was simply taken for granted that everyone could write cursive and read it, even "difficult" hands. Writing to someone in print would have made a bad impression. I think those days are long past, though. Maybe you could say that writing in cursive seems classier, unless you're annoying someone who can't read it.:wink2:

I was writing exclusively in print before I started with fountain pens. Now I am in the process of re learning cursive. It worries me, though, that in just a few short years, cursive will be unreadable for most.

I learned cursive (Palmer method) in elementary school in the 50s. After that, I always wrote in cursive, but over time many of the capitals became printed caps. Now I am in the process of learning Spencerian penmanship. So far, I have all the lower case letters down and will gradually add the capitals.

I attended a parochial lower school.

The sisters taught " penmanship " we practiced making circles in a notebook for about a half hour each day.
After a long while, we were taught letters and how to connect them. Fountain pens were de rigour.
If you didn't improve you were beaten ( only kidding ).

Later, in business, I was glad I had the ability as my associates and clients all complimented my writing.

Like others above, I learned the Palmer method in grade school (1957 -- 1963). Several years back, I broke the three fingers on my right hand. I learned to re-write using the D'nealian style. I treated myself to a Mont Blanc fountain pen in 2008 while home on leave from Iraq. My only gripe with this pen is that it only takes cartridges. If I could find a converter that fits this pen I would be one happy old codger.

I think it is sad that cursive is "dying" ( sorta like wet shaving?). I have a niece who is a loan officer at a bank and she has had a few instances where young people getting a loan could NOT sign their name. They printed.

Maybe it's just Canada- but I know that my nieces and nephews are all learning cursive as they practice the alphabet. Almost every primary school classroom has that old banner going around the room with print and cursive alphabet lettering with the arrows. I volunteer at my nephews and nieces schools for their finance and money tutorials and I see it all the time. With that said, my cursive is just chicken scratch.

Top Bottom