What's new

Himalayan Salt Block

Has anyone ever used a Himalayan Salt Block? I saw one at Williams & Sonoma yesterday and it peaked my interest. I like salt and it seems like a cool way to cook/present food.

I got one as a gift last year. To be honest i've never used it. It seems like a great idea, but I kept hearing about different ways of heating it and how easily it can crack and kind of lost interest. It's been stored away ever since. I really need to look into it again and try it out, thanks for the reminder.
I think it is easier with a gas range (I have electric :thumbdown) , and heating it very slowly seems key, even then it's still going to break eventually. Although at that point you will have a lifetime worth of Himalayan salt to grind.
You can also chill it to present cold food and add a a bit of salt to whatever is on it (sashimi, caprese, fruit, ect). It is an impressive chunk of pink salt and is pretty cool looking.

I have one and use it from time to time. It's great to serve sushi on. Also great for serving fruits if you freeze the block. You get a really nice sweet/savory combination.

As NotTheMatt mentioned, it is great for shrimp. I also really like chicken done on the salt block as well.

It does take time and care, but I have used it a couple of dozen times with no issues. I think where people run into problems is changing the temperature too quickly.

Never heard of it or tried it. Pictures, please.
Google it. They are all over. This is a picture from W&S site.
proxy.php

We throw one in the field with the horses. They lick it. Pretty cheap from the feed shop.
LOL.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
We throw one in the field with the horses. They lick it. Pretty cheap from the feed shop.

It's more expensive when you give it a modern name, complete with all the required buzzwords:

Generic salt lick- $1.95
Green Organic Gluten Free Locally Sourced Himalayan eSalt iBlock- $34.95

I have a set of Tequila glasses made from that stuff. Makes yummy shots -- and no need for salt. But don't let the tequila sit in them too long or it gets overly salty.
$salttequilaglasses.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
Many years ago my neighbor put a slat lick just outside of the woods behind the common property of the subdivision we lived in, to draw the deer out of the woods to shoot them easier to sit on his patio and watch them in the morning. We were talking about it a few weeks later when my 2 sons, then age 5 and 7, now 29 and 31, popped into the conversation with "but it doesn't taste salty!" I was rolling on the floor laughing:lol: and my wife was having a fit!:w00t: We still laugh about it to this day.

ouch

And just in case you're afraid your salt was genetically engineered:
proxy.php

:lol:

I only buy the aged Himalayan salt. My vendor guarantees that it's at least 250 million years old. It costs a lot more that the 10 million year old crap, but it's worth it.

Last edited:
I only buy the aged Himalayan salt. My vendor guarantees that it's at least 250 million years old. It costs a lot more that the 10 million year old crap, but it's worth it.

You should try aging it in the cellar for a year or two after your next purchase. The extra time really helps it develop its flavor.

ouch

Ever see the dry aging meat cellars with walls made out of salt blocks. some of the high end steak houses in NY have them.

I have something similar- I replaced my bathroom floor tiles with slabs of alum block. This way, if I pass out from loss of blood while shaving, the floor itself stops the bleeding.

Ever see the dry aging meat cellars with walls made out of salt blocks. some of the high end steak houses in NY have them.

I have something similar- I replaced my bathroom floor tiles with slabs of alum block. This way, if I pass out from loss of blood while shaving, the floor itself stops the bleeding.

GENIUS! :lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

We all told you to quit drinking the Veg. while shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom