What's new

Ashai Pentax MX SLR

Just purchased this guy at an estate sale for $25...it looks to be in great shape, although it will not focus really far away...

proxy.php

Anyway, I shot a roll of film but didn't realize CVS/Walgreens doesn't develop film like this anymore (dummy)...where should I go?

You will probably have to find a pro lab or a camera store that will farm it out to a pro lab. Welcome to the world of digital photography...

Excellent find! The MX is one of Pentax's best SLR moments in my opinion. All manual and mechanical (sans meter) and just plain works. I love mine that I've been using since it was bought brand new. Glass is very reasonable and there are many choices.

Don't listen to the film naysayers. I've almost completely gone back to B&W film from digital. Do what you want. I personally just enjoy the process more than shooting digital.

There are many places out there that will process your color film for you and not send it off. Google is your friend. Precision Camera in Austin, TX has a pretty good deal for rangefinderforum members, FWIW. If you shoot black and white just develop the film yourself as it's cheaper.

If you need new light seals google Jon Goodman. He's your man. He communicates through email and is the best.

If you want it CLA'd (cleaned, lubed, adjusted) then Eric is your guy for anything Pentax and very, very reasonable.
http://pentaxs.com/

Where in Charleston are you? I grew up on JI. There should be some places there that still process film. Walgreens on Folly possibly? Sadly Photo Express in South Windermere isn't there anymore. I'm pretty sure Costco processes film. My aunt is a photographer in Charleston (Patten Dew Photography). Its been a while since she's done film, but I'll see if she knows of anywhere that still processes it. There used to be a place on 17 in West Ashley that would process and make optical enlargements of B&W film. Not sure if they exist anymore as its been about 7 years since I used them.

The Pentax MX is a fabulous little camera. Tough, small and very popular with the outdoors photographer back in the film days. If you are photography enthusiast...that camera is a keeper.

Not sure about Charleston, but I get my film done at Rite-Aid here in PA. For anything other than 'everyday' color, I would send it out myself (had a good experience with Dwayne's but have only done that once!).

I love my MX, sounds like your lens isn't working properly and doesn't focus to infinity, I would get a new one.

Pentax MX has the biggest viewfinder of any 35mm SLR ever made. Bigger than OM1 which is famous for it's screen. Not to mantion any autofocus SLR or for that matter DSLR currently made. Manual focusing is a snap with it.

Here are some of the photos I took with my MX over the last year or so.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jareksm/tags/pentaxmx/

As for developing, you can do your own BW very cheaply and you don't need a darkroom. Just get a scanner. As for C41/E6 etc... I can't help you, because of my location.

Enjoy the find, they sell for $100+ on ebay.

Top Bottom