What's new

Not counting anything made by the folks at Merkur, what is the best shaver ever made?

Okay, I am a staunch believer that the best shaving DE razor of all times is a Merkur product. I have used many Gillettes, but none compare to Merkurs in terms of their ability to shave the face. Gillettes are the nicest looking razors ever, no argument there! But Merkurs shave better, hands down.

So my question to everyone here is, what is the best non-Merkur DE shaver ever?

I enjoy my 40s SS with a Derby. The level of comfort is terrific with the Derby and I never experience any irritation: this affords me the ability to do some experimentation. I am working on playing with a feather in it as of this morning...

depends what you are looking for. Some people want the closest shave possible, some people want the most gentle shave, some people are looking for a balance of the two. I think the best way to find the best razor for you is to try them all... That is my plan anyway. ;) So far my favorite shaver is the Gillette New. YMMV

I've heard that the English Gillette's are better made then their American cousins. I know the English made Aristocrats are among the best looking razors ever made. But unless I find one at a local thrift store I doubt I'll ever own one as the price for one on e-bay is through the roof.
Out of the razor I own my predate code American Aristocrat is my favorite razor, it shaves a well as my Progress, it beautiful and has a very nice grippy knurling on the handle. When I first switched over to DE razors I preferred longer handle like the cartridge razor that I was used to. Now I like the short handle and besides the Aristocrat I have a 40s Milord that I also really like.
Bob.

I Like Gillettes and Merkurs a lot for different reasons. And I'd love to buy a Progress, but refuse to until the stupid plastic cap is replaced with a nice, shiny piece of metal as original equipment (I'm not paying extra to have it done after-market).

GEM taper tip 'Bullseye' Micromatic, closely followed by a late-40's Aristocrat.

I'm not big into Merkur's.

-- John Gehman

I Like Gillettes and Merkurs a lot for different reasons. And I'd love to buy a Progress, but refuse to until the stupid plastic cap is replaced with a nice, shiny piece of metal as original equipment (I'm not paying extra to have it done after-market).

I think Merkur might do this one day. It certainly seems like a logical idea. I have the original progress, but I would buy an updated version in a second, as I am sure lots of guys here would.

the fat boy doesn't shave closely enough for me.

I REALLY like my black slim adjustable. It's my #1 actually. it even looks great.

Top Bottom