What's new

What are Swedes? Why so great and where to buy?

I'm seeing raves, recommendations, and near religious experiences related to "Swedes". Are these Rapiras? Forgive my ignorance...been wet shaving (new all over again) since 9/13...AD may have addled my mind a bit (56 is way too young to lose it)! All input, feedback, and kind words welcome.

Swedes refers t razor blades made with Swedish steel. It is purported to take a very sharp edge, and last for many shaves. I don't have any myself so I can't confirm or deny this. There are two brands that I've heard of, made in Russia that are apparently made with this Swedish steel, the Gillette 7 o'clock yellows (SharpEdge) and the Rapira Swedish Supersteel. There could also be other brands, but I don't know of them. I've attached a couple of links so that you can see what they look like:

Gillette 7 o'clock yellows: http://connaughtshaving.com/gillette7oclock.html
Rapira Swedish Supersteel: http://www.italianbarber.com/100-rapira-swedish-supersteel-blades-20-packs-of-5-100-blades

Swedes refers t razor blades made with Swedish steel. It is purported to take a very sharp edge, and last for many shaves. I don't have any myself so I can't confirm or deny this. There are two brands that I've heard of, made in Russia that are apparently made with this Swedish steel, the Gillette 7 o'clock yellows (SharpEdge) and the Rapira Swedish Supersteel. There could also be other brands, but I don't know of them. I've attached a couple of links so that you can see what they look like:

Gillette 7 o'clock yellows: http://connaughtshaving.com/gillette7oclock.html
Rapira Swedish Supersteel: http://www.italianbarber.com/100-rapira-swedish-supersteel-blades-20-packs-of-5-100-blades

unfortunately, no. As the previous responder said "Swedes" refers to a long discontinued Gillette blade - much beloved by many. On the other hand things that are no longer available tend to be remembered more fondly than they might deserve.

Here is some good info:

we sell the current production Gillette Platinum blades and we can confirm that they are, indeed, excellent blades. In some circles they are also known as the "Swedish" Gillettes: an incorrect term, since, according to one of my sources, they are actually made in Russia.
The "Swedish" attribute comes from the fact that some packages came to the US from the Gillette distribution center in the UK that also serves Scandinavia and France and they were labeled with the location of the Scandinavian Gillette distributors on the back of the packaging. Current blades sourced from the same UK Distributor now only show the address of the Procter & Gamble Offices in Surrey, England. There is absolutely no change in the blades, the only difference is the address on the packaging. In fact, we are receiving some shipments from Gillette UK that have a mix of the two packaging versions, inside the very same box!

More info here.

They look like this:
$sweded.jpg

To my face White Box Gillette Platinum, shown below, are very close. You can find them on the bay but they're very expensive.
View attachment $Capture.JPG

I feel that Dark Blue Gillette Platinum, shown below, are the closest current production blade to the old Gillette Platinum in plastic dispensers.

More info on Dark Platinum below:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/366630-New-production-Gillette-Platinum

$cpgp2.jpg

Personally, I found the original "Swedes" to be a bit harsh. If you are bent on shaving with NOS, your best bet is the Spoiler.

Thanks all so much for the wealth of information. I have tried the Rapira Swedish Supersteel and thought they were pretty good.
The big complication I see as a new DE shaver is getting a discipline to stay with one razor/blade/soap long enough to "know" it. Anyone have pointers on that? Maybe that's another forum.

Personally, I found the original "Swedes" to be a bit harsh. If you are bent on shaving with NOS, your best bet is the Spoiler.

I actually prefer the Swedes to the Spoiler. YMMV, I guess. The English Wilkinson Sword blades from the 1970's, commonly known as Light Brigades, are better than either one, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks all so much for the wealth of information. I have tried the Rapira Swedish Supersteel and thought they were pretty good.
The big complication I see as a new DE shaver is getting a discipline to stay with one razor/blade/soap long enough to "know" it. Anyone have pointers on that? Maybe that's another forum.

The Rapira Swedish supersteel are a nice blade but once a blade enters the realm of "shaving folk lore" nothing will ever come close to it.

Swedes
Spoilers
Wilkie triple coated

They are all part of shaving legend now....

My tribute to the long gone Wilkie about in the middle of my 100+ shaves on a single one of those blades (chronicled in this thread): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349341-So-How-far-would-YOU-go

proxy.php

The Rapira Swedish supersteel are a nice blade but once a blade enters the realm of "shaving folk lore" nothing will ever come close to it.

Swedes
Spoilers
Wilkie triple coated

They are all part of shaving legend now....

My tribute to the long gone Wilkie about in the middle of my 100+ shaves on a single one of those blades (chronicled in this thread): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349341-So-How-far-would-YOU-go

proxy.php

Add Schick Plus Platinums to that list

You know this begs the question...what did our Dads do choosing blades in the '50s? ( Yes I've just dated myself!)

There are Gillette blades sold in France on a lightish blue card, labeled Gillette Bleue. The text on the reverse says they're made in St. Petersburg. I assume in the same factory as so many others.
Are these also "Swedes"? Are they worth buying at around 1.50€ for 10?

There are Gillette blades sold in France on a lightish blue card, labeled Gillette Bleue. The text on the reverse says they're made in St. Petersburg. I assume in the same factory as so many others.
Are these also "Swedes"? Are they worth buying at around 1.50€ for 10?

What you're describing sound like Gillette Bleue Extra. They are also great blades but they're not the same as Gillette Platinum "Swedes".
If you have a chance to pick some up do it and let us know how they work for you.

In older plastic dispenser.
View attachment 438309

In cardboard.
$lames-de-rasoir-gillette-bleue-extra-x-10-rasage.jpg

What you're describing sound like Gillette Bleue Extra. They are also great blades but they're not the same as Gillette Platinum "Swedes".
If you have a chance to pick some up do it and let us know how they work for you.

In older plastic dispenser.
View attachment 438309

In cardboard.
View attachment 438310

The ones in the plastic dispenser are the older, discontinued version. Back when they and Swedes were both available many liked the GBEs as well as the Swedes. So if you can't find any Swedes, or don't want to pay the outrageous price they command these days, then look for the NOS GBEs. They're easier to find, and cheaper.

I actually prefer the Swedes to the Spoiler. YMMV, I guess. The English Wilkinson Sword blades from the 1970's, commonly known as Light Brigades, are better than either one, IMO.

Yeah, I had about 300 of the LB's and ended up selling them to a guy in AUS. They are a bit smoother than the Spoilers, but they don't last as long. I think the Wilkinson Sword Masters in their various flavors actually shave better.

I see some other NOS blades have come up:

Personna 74's: Overrated, harsh, but they do last a long time. Overpriced.
Schick Plus Plats: Fairly smooth, but they don't last for more than a few shaves. I don't think Schick really had their coatings figured out.
Schick Stainless: I had tons of irritation from them.

If you can find them, the British made Silvers were outstanding.

None of these blades are "legendary" (I see that hyperbole bandied about a bit) but they were good blades for their time.

$004-38.jpg$images.jpeg

I've never had the chance to try out Swedes or GBE's but I have tried a lot of vintage NOS blades. Spoilers, English Wilks, Schick Plus Plats, and Super Chromiums, Personna 74's, are all fine blades but not miles better than my favorite current production blades. In fact I like Gillette Silver Blues, and current Gillette Platinums better than some of those vintage blades.

Another great Gillette blade to look for are platinum edged Super Silver. Sadly they are discontinued but they do pop up on the bay from time to time.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/302214-Gillette-Super-Silver?highlight=

Older version in plastic dispenser.
View attachment 438716

Last production in cardboard.
View attachment 438717

How do you like those Super Silvers in the cardboard box? I've got a couple packs I haven't tried yet. I was hoping that because they said "Platinum Hardened Edge", which was the marketing phrase used on Swedes they might be like Swedes. Besides, the box looks the like the Gillette Platinums in the white box that I found in Italy and that I think might be my favorite blade.

How do you like those Super Silvers in the cardboard box?

Super Silvers are one of my favorite blades. Right up there with the white box platinum. I do find them just a bit smoother than Platinums during the initial shave.

But on the second and third shave they're neck and neck. If I had one of each blade in identical razors I'd have a hard time telling them apart.

Top Bottom