What's new

Jack Rudy Tonic

Just listened to an Alton Brown podcast where he interviewed the creator of Jack Rudy Tonic which is a concentrate you dilute with soda water and supposedly makes a killer G&T. I don't do G&T's that often (not sure why as I love them) and part of that reason may be the waste involved in either little bottles of tonic or flat leftover bigger bottles of it.

Also, the story of the creator is a great one and the podcast (only half way through) is a must listen (as are all Alton Browns podcasts).

Anyone tried this stuff?

http://jackrudycocktailco.com/

Andy

It's a simple, clean, dry tonic that's at least the equal to any other tonic I've tasted. And, it's about a buck a drink: Its a 17oz. bottle with the instructions of .75oz of tonic to 4oz fizzy water (that's what we call it). I mix it using 1oz. "To taste," if you will.

Our Gin & Tonics:

16oz glass half-filled with ice (a cup of ice)
1oz Jack Rudy's
2oz your favorite gin
Squeezed wedge of lime. Again, to taste. Ours runs from 1/8 to 1/4 of a lime depending on mood.
2 dashes bitters. The Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas' are amazing. Angostura is just fine, too.
Top with fizzy water.

We use a Soda Stream to charge our own water and it paid for itself in a year with as much sparkling water as we (wife and I) consume.

G&Ts are NO problem in our home.

The Jack Rudy's is also clear. Skip the bitters and it'll be bright as water.

There are quite a few tonic mixes on the market. I have not convinced to talk myself into purchasing them but I have been contemplating recipes for home-made tonics using cinchona bark, citric acid, sugar and water.

My only advice to you regarding making you own tonic is to resist the urge to grind up the cinchona bark. Leave it in chunks and let it sit longer. The fine powder from grinding will clog every medium fine enough to filter it out. We gave up on our first batch and just lived with a batch of cloudy tonic!

:blushing:

Top Bottom