What's new

Balm guys … What are your favorites?

I was a splash guy until this winter when my skin got really dry. For Xmas I was given a gift card to L'Occitane so I picked up the Eau des Baux balm and I haven't stopped using it since. I was going to look into some other balms, so I was curious, what are some of your favorites? Maybe if you could mention which one you like to use in the winter and which one you like to use in the summer, that could be helpful. Thanks!

Nick

I use balm year-round. To cut back on the moisturization during summer, I will apply some directly after my aftershave splash while it's still wet. It will go slick but for some reason it dries down with less moisture. My top 3 balms ever used:

- L'Occitane Cade ASB
- Pre de Provence ASB
- Nivea Sensitive ASB

Saint Charles Shave's:

Sahara A/S balm--a wonderful fig scent
Avocado Oil--may be nicer for summer as it contains menthol and feels very refreshing.

I also like Institut Karite.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of all the Nivea Balms. The Brut A.S. Balm is also good if you want a fragrance, scent after your shave.

Crabtree and Evelyn make fantastic balm. I just finished a bottle of sandalwood and I'm starting a bottle of the West Indian Lime. I also have RazoRock "Nonno Michelino" Sandalwood on the way. Have never tried it.

During dry/cold season I use DR Harris (Arlington and Windsor) and Castle Forbes (Lavender and Lime) balms. They are somewhat pricey but last a long time.

+3 for Cade!

Also Weleda ASB makes a lot more appearances in the summer months. It's lighter than Cade and a slightly fresher scent, but still fantastic for your skin.

Zirh Soothe is good but don't buy it from them. I found mine on eBay for about 1/3 of ordering direct. I've also seen Zirh products at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I only use balms during the colder months.

I only have a few balms but they are all nice. AOS lavender and their sandalwood and lemon gels. T&H limes and 1805 balm. All protective, moisturizing and fragrant. Not sure if you would call GFT coral skin food a balm, but it has some alcohol and not quite as buttery as the others.

My favorites:

- Cade by L'Occitane
- Castle Forbes Lavender
- Calani Balsams
- Penhaligon's Balms (they are magical.... I swear)
- Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort
- Crown Shaving Co. Soothing Aftershave Lotion (Balm)
- AOS Unscented
- D.R. Harris Milk
- I Coloniali Rhubarb Emulsion
- Acqua di Parma Aftershave Balm

Ben

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a Crabtree and Evelyn balm which I don't find as soothing as the others, but the scent is very nice.

Castle Forbes makes a nice balm - but like their cream, seems expensive until you see how far it goes.

My favorite is Clinique M Lotion - that now has a new name I'm sorry I don't remember. It's priced in the mid range, but works very well and lasts a good long time.

I have only used a few and my top 2 would be the Nivea cool kick and The Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm.

The Bluebeards is in my opinion a superior product to the Nivea...it even has a much nicer scent. I like that it has both Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera in it. It really leaves my skin feeling fantastic.

Top Bottom