What's new

What's your guys' procedures when you cut yourself?

If its a weeper, or it doesn't bleed much I'll usually wait until I'm done and then use my liquid styptic. If it seems to bleed more, I'll use the styptic right away and then finish. Either way would be fine for you, it really doesn't matter.

If it's just a little weeper, I usually won't do anything; maybe this is unique to my experience, but I find tallow-based soaps tend to seal small bleeds quite nicely. Perhaps something in the soap causes the blood to clot? If it's more persistent (almost unheard-of nowadays) I'll hit it with the styptic as soon as I notice it. If it's on the first pass, I lather over the styptic. Never had any problems, as I recall.

I use a styptic pencil, but I wait until after the shave, because I find that using a styptic does weird things to my ASBs. It makes Nivea go all watery, and it completely dries up the Japanese stuff I have, making it look like pieces of tissue paper.

If I am bleeding out I would use a tourniquet around my neck. Just kidding. If it is minor I just press and use a pencil afterwards. I usual dip the pencil in water, then apple against the grain of the cut rather than over it as it stops right away.

I just continue the shave, relathering and reshaving over the area until I'm done.

Then a cold water rinse, Proraso repair gel, wait a minute or so, then a cold water shower. Works for me!

I apply the styptic pen right away. Even if it's the first pass, then continue. I haven't noticed any negative effects compared to waiting until the 3rd or 4th pass.

+1 here. This is exactly what I do. I started this method about two years ago. Prior to that I would wait until the end of the shave and have trouble getting the bleeding to stop. Immediate application has worked great. I haven't had a weeper in months, though.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
$mummy-26792099.jpgThis works or styptic pencil

If I cut myself, it's usually BAD. Like yelling, "we have a bleeder in Trauma 2!" Fortunately, that doesn't happen but once every 7 years so far. Come to think of it, I better find my styptic. I have some of that clot former stuff that burns like a girl in a Bangkok brothel but that's only if I can't get it under control in 5-10 minutes and my wife finds me passed out on the floor. Once she cleans the blood out of the grout so it doesn't stain, she tends to me.

I love her.
Nick

Styptic. However, I've avoided resorting to that, because I have a brand new, unused styptic pencil. I don't use the pencil, because I want to keep it looking new. As a result, I shave more carefully, and therefore don't have to use my styptic pencil.

This is true, sadly.

I give myself a stare down in the mirror. You know that look like "I can't believe you just did that, you idiot" ? Followed by a stern head shake.

I never cut myself. I use a 1970's cartridge that delivers a smooth shave without razor burn or in grown hairs. Oh the blasphemy....

I ALWAYS make sure the make a breathing in through my teeth sound first, maybe a little more dramatic if the wife is nearby or sitting there talking to me while i shave.....then i immediately tag it with a styptic pencil and hope that does the trick....if it keeps weeping i keep poking the styptic at it. :cursing:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is why my favorite soap is La Toja. The alum salts that are already in the soap takes care of all nicks & weepers during the shave, leaving my skin feeling like I used an alum block after the rinse.

However, if it's a bad cut, I just stick my thumb in my mouth and curl up in the fetal position...

rub some dirt on it and keep going.

i'll lay it back down, maybe. Otherwise i finish no matter which pass i'm on, i just don't go over it again in the same direction. It's easier to open one up with a straight though. After, some alum. After i leave the house and it's still wearing, rub some spit on it.

+1.....rawr!

Tiny weepers are the only blood I ever see, and that's fairly rare. I just keep on shaving. Usually gone by end of shave anyway.

Top Bottom