What's new

Gentlemen, I Sure Could Use Your Help!

Hi!
I was hoping you knowledgeable fellas could help me with a gift for my husband. Our anniversary is coming up in a couple of months, and I'd like to get him something REALLY special.
We've had a rough couple of years, having gone through some health issues on my part, two lost pregnancies and a layoff, among other things. This man has been my rock. To say that he has been amazing is an absolute understatement. Even now, when I am working long days, he holds down the fort and takes wonderful care of our girls, all while working his IT job from home. I could not possibly love this man more. He is that great.
Since he rarely takes any time for himself, I'd really like to pamper him. I've started to assemble a really nice shave kit for him.

So far, I've ordered this bowl;
https://img1.etsystatic.com/019/0/6039764/il_570xN.534360069_on0r.jpg

And this brush (thanks to your glowing reviews)
http://www.handicraft-vn.com/shop/a...4-28-mm-badger-hair-p-1264.html?cPath=168_183

What I am really struggling with is the blade. I want it to be something REALLY special, since it will undoubtedly be the most important part of the kit. I don't want it to be run-of-the-mill. I was looking at some damascus blades, but they all look big and clunky, and it seems that your forums have confirmed for me that they are nowhere near shave-ready. My budget for the blade is $200. Any ideas/suggestions for something really special? My husband truly deserves the best, but since "the best" seem to be out of my price range, I am looking for a good compromise.

I would also GREATLY appreciate any suggestions for other items that should be included, such as a strop.

Guys, if you could help me with this, I will be forever in your debt!

I can't help any with the straight, but two additional items that come to mind are soap/cream and after shave.

What is his current shave setup?

Hi Guys,
Sorry about posting in the wrong thread. Being a newbie, I haven't quite learned my way around yet.:001_tongu
He is currently using a regular drugstore razor and shaving foam, so this will obviously be a learning experience and an upgrade for him. I am hoping his shaves will be less of a chore and more enjoyable.
I was thinking straight razor, but am open to suggestions if you guys think that may be too much of a jump. I did purchase him some Proraso sensitive skin shaving soap, but am still also looking for a nice aftershave. And even if you guys have a different suggestion for soap, I am willing to get him a couple to try out. I'll be honest, I really know nothing about this stuff! Thanks for the comments so far!

Very nice gesture. I'll defer to more experienced members for advice, but something vintage (maybe from his birth year/quarter) might be special. Good luck!

I'm not a straight razor guy but maybe you should consider a DE (double edge) razor as a start. One thing about DE razors is that there are many double edge blades that your husband can have fun trying out rather than one straight razor and the learning curve is definitely easier.

If you are thinking about a DE razor, I would suggest an Edwin Jagger 89L. It is a beautiful DE razor that is mild and is a great starter razor and also a great razor for a veteran shaver. It is beautifully made. You can get one at BullGoose Shaving. Phil from BullGoose Shaving is an excellent vendor who provides great customer service.

WARHAWK

Warhawk, that sure is pretty, and has some great reviews. It's not even pricey! I'm thinking I may get him that along with a straight, Thank you!

Warhawk, that sure is pretty, and has some great reviews. It's not even pricey! I'm thinking I may get him that along with a straight, Thank you!

You are welcome. You are definitely the better half. If you do decide to get the Edwin Jagger 89L, be sure to purchase a blade sampler. That way your husband can enjoy the journey of trying different DE blades that work for him. Kindly keep us posted on your final decision on shave gear. Also, direct your husband to B&B once he gets his special shave gear.

WARHAWK

+1 on this and the blade sampler. For soap, Stirling Soaps (you can google it) has really large samples that last about a month each. I'd order him 3-4 samples of different scents.

Go for the Jagger 89L and take the difference in that and your $200 budget and go out for a nice dinner.

Shaving with a straight is a quantum jump from a DE and also requires more gear like a strop, so I'd suggest starting with the DE.

You sound like a wonderful wife and he and your girls are definitely lucky to have you.

Everything here has been great advice. What a HUGE gesture on your part, I'm sure you feel like it's not much for all he's done for you, but this really is great.
I would just suggest that you not forget aftershave. You can afford to get several, if you'd like. Maybe something that you would like, floral or whatever that maybe; I'm sure he'd love wearing something that you enjoy, especially if it gets him some more attention from his lovely wife.
However, get him something manly, too. A bay rum, cedar, or Cavendish scent, maybe. Something that he splashes on in the morning and makes his chest puff up! Ogallala Bay Rum has some really great stuff at really great prices. YOu might want to try this: http://www.ogallalabayrum.mybigcommerce.com/ogallala-bay-rum-bonanza/. Howtogrowamoustachestore.com is another great place to look for aftershaves and such.
Lastly, look for a good summer scent, too. You can make you way to the aftershave part of the forum and get some great advice and info on where to buy and what scents are good. Here's a link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/18-Aftershaves

OMG you are amazing for getting him set up like this...if you have to get him a straight razor...THIS is a great start and just under your budget. Olive-wood scales for the (handle) and rounded at the end for his safety, not too flashy but does have some style. He would love this. It's out of stock here but you'll find it if you look around. Also, +1 on the Edwin Jagger DE89 Safety Razor...sometimes he may just want a quicker shave without the antics. At $160, you can also get the Edwin Jagger DE89 AND some blades and still stay under budget. Happy Hunting! and here's to a better year for you both, this will be a great start.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Dovo-Inox-Olivewood-58-Straight-Razor_p_1115.html

I think a DE89 is a great double edge safety razor to start with. I would recommend getting him some Mitchells Wool Fat shaving soap. It really offers great protection for the skin and lathers quite easily. It also has a nice natural clean smell that pairs well with most aftershaves.

Welcome! The straight might be too much for someone who's been using disposables. The EJ DE89 is an excellent choice. It's one of the best looking razors I've ever seen and a smooth shaver.

Wonderful gesture. As suggested by many others, you could gift him an edwin jagger de89. This comes with 6 different handles (plain, lined, knurled, faux ebony(de87),faux ivory(de86), octagonal). You can pick which ever appeals to you.

I wouldn't suggest a straight razor, especially if he doesn't have an interest in it. Straight razors have a steep learning curve and require some determination for the first 10-20 shaves.

If you are looking for something more expensive than the edwin jagger, you can get him an stainless steel razor(ATT, IKON etc). These are more expensive but they'll last a life time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom