What's new

Custom boxes?

I'm looking at commissioning a custom straight razor box. I'm looking for heirloom quality and something I can pass down for generations.

Budget: $800Cad

Any ideas of who to get this from?

I'm in Canada but don't mind going out of country for the right work.

Here's my little design. I forgot to add that I want the drawers lined with something and that each drawer needs to hold 7 razors and be able to fix a full 8/8 blade in each. Not sure how to get my pic to upload bigger....

Anyhow, each drawer needs to be completely removable. The drawer should also fit in the top compartment (4 drawers and 1 that fits flush in the top for 5 sets of 7 razors). There should be a mirror on the inside of the lid and each drawer/lid needs to be lockable preferably with an invisible style lock perhaps magnetic.

My initial B needs to be on top of the box in inlay preferably in some type of shell but contrasting wood would be ok if i have to settle due to price. I also want a small drawer on the bottom that i didn't draw that would hold a desiccant or at least build a section into each individual drawer that would hold desiccant to keep things dry.

I'm looking for exotic woods with all the fancy trimmings.

$heirloom box idea.jpg

Last edited:
If you can't find someone on here willing to do it, I'd suggest searching for a woodworking forum and contacting some of the members. I'd imagine you'd get some leads.

I'm no woodworker, but I imagine that a series of small, interchangable, locking drawers like you envision is no easy (or cheap) thing to do. I don't know if $800 CAD would cover it or not.

Chris my biggest concern is doing business with someone that can provide clear and concise descriptions or drawings or something. I have a vision in my head but I'm no wood worker. I wish I was in an area that was more populated so I could visit and talk with more people.

Not sure if your price will cover the project, but I'm going to suggest that if you can't find anyone here to build that, find a shop that builds custom humidors. A lot of your description reminds me of custom humidors I've seen.

Not sure if your price will cover the project, but I'm going to suggest that if you can't find anyone here to build that, find a shop that builds custom humidors. A lot of your description reminds me of custom humidors I've seen.

Another friend has mentioned this to me as well and is a definite option to consider! Looks like I have a bunch of research to be doing.... I thought this was going to be easy!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Last edited:
Have you contacted Mycarver? I am not sure if he does cabinet work, but he is very talented.

http://woodworkingstudio.net/contact.html

Mark is the one who so kindly 'schooled' me! We have spoken via email and he really did educate me on the cost of these things. We didn't even get into quotes for HIS work but pointed me in the direction of some already existing and similar pieces which all cost in the many of thousands.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Contact Ed at Waxing Moon Humidors. While his primary business is furniture quality cigar humidors, the designs it's not that different from what you are want, so it might be worth an email.

Contact Ed at Waxing Moon Humidors. While his primary business is furniture quality cigar humidors, the designs it's not that different from what you are want, so it might be worth an email.

Derrick, thanks so much for the contact. I have emailed Ed and am eagerly awaiting his response!!!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
No problem. I hope he works out for you.

In a completely unrelated note, I just reread what I typed. Good lord, I need a personal scribe.

Top Bottom