What's new

TI Razors Don't Stay Sharp for Long - Help?

I posted a link to this thread in the mentoring thread (honing) to see if there is someone near Montreal that can take a look.

Several responses to many questions:

1) as to he honing job, I don't know how to do it, so I don't do it myself. All I know is that a blade that felt sharp initially (presumably well honed?) feels blunt and pulls my beard after a very small number of shaves.

2) what kind of strop am I using? Kanayama #3 cordovan strop.

3) sending my blade to someone; I no longer have anyone to send the blade to, unfortunately, as the person I was dealing with lives too far to make it worthwhile. Open to any suggestion regarding someone competent I could send my blades to for a good hone and evaluation (closest possible to Montreal, would prefer in Canada if at all possible). Any recommendations?

Brooksie can be trusted and even though he promised to send me.one of hs edges (still waiting) im sure he will hook you up. Lol.

Brooksie can be trusted and even though he promised to send me.one of hs edges (still waiting) im sure he will hook you up. Lol.

Bill I've been spending the last few months in the Gym lifting weights to try and get my strength up to hone that GD with those WHOPPING scales on them. Give me another few months.

I'd send you a vintage but I'm afraid that you might put a dremel to it.

Id say the bevel set and susequent refinement wasn't done correctly or completely.
An edge that's 'just' there will fall off quickly. An edge that's done well, from start to completion, will last.
Yep - could be stropping, but I'd guess bevel-set first.

Bill I've been spending the last few months in the Gym lifting weights to try and get my strength up to hone that GD with those WHOPPING scales on them. Give me another few months.

I'd send you a vintage but I'm afraid that you might put a dremel to it.

Dremel? Nah. Concrete saw? Hell yeah! Lol.

Id say the bevel set and susequent refinement wasn't done correctly or completely.
An edge that's 'just' there will fall off quickly. An edge that's done well, from start to completion, will last.
Yep - could be stropping, but I'd guess bevel-set first.

+3 to this.

I'm in canada. Ask around about me if you don't trust me.

I have also heard nothing but good things about Brooksie's honing. If you are trying to stay in Canada with your razor. He is a great choice.

What are your razors finished on?
Did the honer strop them?

I'm going to guess it's your stropping being not damaging, but ineffectual, and the razors shave well the first time as they are arriving stropped. I'd especially tend to suggest this if the razors are finished on pastes, as those seem to leave edges that in general degrade somewhat more noticeably and more quickly if not maintained by regular stropping, likely having to do with being finished edge-trailing.

Are you shaving daily? Perhaps your face just doesn't want an ATG shave daily and you're inadvertently adjusting to minimize irritation. which is causing the blade to struggle.

Last edited:
I don't shave daily. And I have never attempted an ATG shave. I may do an XTG in certain area to bring the shave to an acceptable look, but I generally only shave WTG. Honestly, I've never had a blade sharp enough that I would trust to even attempt ATG...

I'll try Brooksiee and go from there. It seems each different experienced person you talk to believes bevels set by anyone else are improper. Hard to tell who's right. And since I don't know the actual theory (or practice) in sufficient depth as regards bevel setting, I am not the one to judge who's right or wrong.

But I'm glad to hear that there are was the bevel can be set and the edge finished that not only provide a mega sharp edge, but also a lasting one.

I've shaved maybe half dozen times with this AOS-TI since it was first acquired and professionally honed.
With only stropping in between.
Still comfortable sharp, easily passes HHT and arm hair tests.

proxy.php

I don't shave daily. And I have never attempted an ATG shave. I may do an XTG in certain area to bring the shave to an acceptable look, but I generally only shave WTG. Honestly, I've never had a blade sharp enough that I would trust to even attempt ATG...

I'll try Brooksiee and go from there. It seems each different experienced person you talk to believes bevels set by anyone else are improper. Hard to tell who's right. And since I don't know the actual theory (or practice) in sufficient depth as regards bevel setting, I am not the one to judge who's right or wrong.

But I'm glad to hear that there are was the bevel can be set and the edge finished that not only provide a mega sharp edge, but also a lasting one.

I do 5 passes a day with no complication and no alum sting due to lack of sharpness :)

I was exactly the same when I started 3 shaves from a new edge (my honing skills) before it needed work. In my opinion a pasted strop or balsa with very fine paste is a must for maintaing an edge. One bad pass on a strop will round off an edge, pay particular attention to what happens at the start and end of your strop stroke. As for shaving technique slicing the whiskers off with a slight scything motion has helped with edge longevity too this is also a recipe for cutting yourself tho...

Last edited:
Top Bottom