What's new

Help me pick a new TWSBI.

I still stand by my previous comments although
My feed cracked and it was my fault. I over tightened it. Still twsbi replaced the parts needed no question.
I had an ink bottle from them too that spontaneously exploded oxblood all over the place. I wasn't in the room and it was locked so no kids either.
I won't be buying twsbi anymore though.

I have a VAC700 and have been using it regulary for about 1 year. Very recently the cap cracked and the metal ring (with the VAC700 and TWSBI marking) broke off. I have been fairly careful when threading on the cap as I was aware of other cracking issues, but it still broke. This is upsetting...

However, I e-mailed TWSBI with my original invoice and stating my problem (didn't have any pictures but offered to take and send some). Within an hour or two I had a resposne stating he would send out a replacement cap with no additional requests for information. About two days later I had my replacement cap and everything is great. While I don't like the fact that the cap broke in the first place, I am very happy with the customer service, and I am very happy with the way the pen writes (and looks). I am a TWSBI fan (not fanboy) but am realistic with my expectations.

On a different note, I will own a pelakin pen at some point. :)

-Flat_tire

I have gold plating issues with my rose gold 580. It has started to tarnish and it has chipped a little. The pen lives in my top pocket or in my leather pen folder. The pen would only be 6 months old.

I emailed TWSBI with photos and they informed me that the warranty does not cover any cosmetic damage or plating loss. The pen writes beautifully and the ink capacity is great but there are just as many cons as pros.

The decision lies within you, for every fan there will be a hater. In the end it is your pen

I had a TWSBI and it cracked in numerous places within days of ownership with very light use. It was my understanding that they fixed that issue, and to their credit they reshipped an entire pen (in pieces) very quickly.

I love the look of their Micarta, but I didn't really feel like the nib was so much better than my Safari or Kaweco's.

Still, it looks so good I continue to consider it, though...

I can't compare to a Pelikan as I've never owned one, but I own a TWSBI mini and classic and love both of them. I really like how the mini's cap posts/screws into the pen, making it longer.

I did have an issue with the mini—somehow I got a crack near the nib—I'm gonna chalk it up to user error on my part. I contacted TWSBI, they had me mail it to them and within 2 days it was mailed back to me, fixed, free of charge. Their customer service is excellent.

I've had a 580 for about a year now. No problems at al. Lovely pen. Lovely nib. Gets a ton of compliments.

While I understand the argument that a good pen shouldn't need such great customer service I've heard plenty of complaints about modern pelikans too (eg, writes too wet, etc) on boards such as fpn. Frankly all the brands take their turn being bashed. To me, TWSBIs have a valid place in the pen case.

How does a pen crack. I mean, it doesn't just crack sitting there does it? It has to be dropped, squeezed or bent....right? Are TWSBIs really spontaneously cracking?

I have two and do not see how either would ever crack unless I caused it to crack. So, is it not a problem with the user rather than the pen?
nope, they actually have been known to just crack sitting there,... or when twisting the cap on and off. I have a VAC it hasnt cracked but it likes to toss up and ink blob at the worst moments from time to time, and thus I rarely use it, though It could be an oring I removed, although lots of people do that without problems

If you need a pen right now, twsbi did address the cracking issues in the most recent line up, but time will still have to tell, if you can wait and save up some more money, there are other options besides even the pelikan you could look to. really as long as you enjoy it it doesnt matter what people think, but we all hear how great TWSBIs customer service is at fixing their issues, ive never had to hear about pelikan, sailor, pilot, or many others as they very rarely ever actually have issues, which to me says a better value in the long run

nope, they actually have been known to just crack sitting there,... or when twisting the cap on and off. I have a VAC it hasnt cracked but it likes to toss up and ink blob at the worst moments from time to time, and thus I rarely use it, though It could be an oring I removed, although lots of people do that without problems

If you need a pen right now, twsbi did address the cracking issues in the most recent line up, but time will still have to tell, if you can wait and save up some more money, there are other options besides even the pelikan you could look to. really as long as you enjoy it it doesnt matter what people think, but we all hear how great TWSBIs customer service is at fixing their issues, ive never had to hear about pelikan, sailor, pilot, or many others as they very rarely ever actually have issues, which to me says a better value in the long run

James you have a great point about the VAC I completely agree about how annoying the ink blob can be. I actually have my eyes on a Vac so you can send me yours and I will take care of it for you. That way you can feel safe and sound that it is on the other side of the world! :D :D

Other side of the world is still not enough for me :001_tt2:.

On a serious note. TWSBI is the Williams of the pen world. Either you love 'em or hate 'em....there is no middle ground. No one can debate their customer service tho.

Well Gentlemen, I went ahead and ordered a mini with the black cap to replace my Pelikan. Also through in Studio Organics Carbon to ink it up with as I was looking for a new black ink.

I opened the packaging and the pen shattered into a thousand pieces! :001_tt2: No, seriously, I have been using this pen all day and LOVE it. Am seriously considering selling my 540 just to fund another mini. I have smaller hands and this thing is perfect in my hand and I love the fact that it posts. I thought it didn't matter to me with the 530 and 540, but I like the feel of this one better.

I may order the clear and some more Studio Organics ink. The Carbon black has the best shading I have seen on a black ink, thus, making it more of a dark charcoal. No issues with the nib right out of the box...writes like a charm.

proxy.php

Not a great shot, but I'm still loving this pen. The threading on the cap and the post seem much smoother on the mini than on my 540. I'm thinking this would make it less likely to crack. We shall see.

proxy.php

I have the exact same pen. Nice.

Thank you. I think I'm going to get the clear as well to add to my stable of TWSBI's. Off topic but does anyone use the TWSBI inkwells? They are pricey but are you really just paying for the cool look?

Thank you. I think I'm going to get the clear as well to add to my stable of TWSBI's. Off topic but does anyone use the TWSBI inkwells? They are pricey but are you really just paying for the cool look?
they actually look useful...what with the no mess ink refill capability.

i do think twsbi has some quality control issues (or at least the pen i had had issues), but twsbi also has put some really creative and smart ideas out there at a fairly reasonable price.

I own a mini and a rose gold 580. Both are great pens and you will be happy with either.

The mini vac is also coming out later this year.

I have one in red aluminium.
It is the second one as the first exploded spontaneously. Diamine oxblood everywhere! It now sits in a dish with kitchen towel just in case.
They are a no mess refill and look cool too.

It concerns me that TWSBI products seem to spontaneously crack or explode. How is that even possible?

Top Bottom