What's new

Help me pick a new TWSBI.

So I recently lost one of my favorite pens. A Pelikan M200 (I think) demonstrator that I had custom ground to a stub.

I own two TWSBI's currently. The 540 and the 530. I have 1.1 italics on both and find them easy and comfortable to write with and the nib is not too large. I will definitely go with the 1.1 on my next TWSBI.

I'm just confused as to which one I should get. I'm trying to decide between the 580 and the mini. I would definitely choose the mini if someone can confirm to me that it is similar in size and feel to the Pelikan 200. I do love writing with the full sized TWSBIs unposted though.

Anyone who owns either of these that can comment, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm just confused as to which one I should get. I'm trying to decide between the 580 and the mini. I would definitely choose the mini if someone can confirm to me that it is similar in size and feel to the Pelikan 200. I do love writing with the full sized TWSBIs unposted though.

Anyone who owns either of these that can comment, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

stick with the Pel..a TWSBI will never...I repeat never.... feel like a Pelikan

You already know what the TWSBI feels like, so the mini will not be much different in feel. From what I've read, the mini is thicker and shorter than the M200. I own a mini and it's a decent pen, but I think the Pelikan is a better pen.

I'd go with the 580, as I've never owned the mini. That being said, I could never compare my Pelikan to any of my TWSBI pens, but for the money...you can't go wrong with the TWSBI. Even though I haven't written with mine in MONTHS, I should sell it, lol

If money were no issue, I would certainly purchase a .8 stub Pelikan M205 from Richard Binder or buy the pen and have it custom ground. This will run me upwards of $150. For 1/3 that I could buy either TWSBI.

I certainly can appreciate the quality of the Pelikan, but my Pelikan got lost and I'm looking to replace it with a TWSBI, just not sure which one.

I could see purchasing another Pelikan one day though.

If money were no issue, I would certainly purchase a .8 stub Pelikan M205 from Richard Binder or buy the pen and have it custom ground. This will run me upwards of $150. For 1/3 that I could buy either TWSBI.

I certainly can appreciate the quality of the Pelikan, but my Pelikan got lost and I'm looking to replace it with a TWSBI, just not sure which one.

I could see purchasing another Pelikan one day though.

It seems like a no brainer to me. Why would you buy another pen that is essentially the same as your 530 and 540? Buy the mini, a vac700 or wait for the vac mini.

It seems like a no brainer to me. Why would you buy another pen that is essentially the same as your 530 and 540? Buy the mini, a vac700 or wait for the vac mini.

Thanks, this was sort of what I was thinking. It's where I was leaning honestly but just wanted feedback.

I've never written with a Pelikan.
I do however own a 580 and write with it consistently.
Great for notes in class and writing in general.

Try to pick one that won't crack.

I've heard of the cracking issue but of the three that I have owned, none of them cracked. I've also heard that if a pen cracks, TWSBI is quick to replace. I didn't realize there was such TWSBI hate. I just wanted an opinion on the mini vs. the 580 for those that have used both.

I didn't realize there was such TWSBI hate. I just wanted an opinion on the mini vs. the 580 for those that have used both.

I try as best as I can to help keep the TWSBI threads positive, unfortunately I'm severely outnumbered. If you like the pens there's nothing wrong with that. My mini hasn't cracked in the year + I've owned it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and most don't have any problem expressing it, good and bad.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I didn't realize there was such TWSBI hate.

Not hate, just a warning. A TWSBI recommendation thread without hearing mention of Speedy's very well-known cracking issues would be neglectful.

:scooter: OK, I'm outta here.

...snip I just wanted an opinion on the mini vs. the 580 for those that have used both.

Length aside, the mini and 580 are very similar.
The mini does make a great pocket sized pen. But (IMO) can be uncomfortable for longer writing sessions.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Try to pick one that won't crack.

I have a TWSBI that the cap cracked. I can't really use it anymore, due to the nib drying out because of the crack. I do think that the bang for the buck is great, but when there is a cracking issue, it makes it hard to swallow. My pen is a 530 I believe, so I doubt it will be covered.

Save up and get a Pelikan

I have a TWSBI that the cap cracked. I can't really use it anymore, due to the nib drying out because of the crack. I do think that the bang for the buck is great, but when there is a cracking issue, it makes it hard to swallow. My pen is a 530 I believe, so I doubt it will be covered.

Save up and get a Pelikan
I'd drop an email to TWSBI and tell them about the problem. I'm pretty confident that they'll replace the cracked cap without question (or replace the entire pen if the part is no longer available).

How does a pen crack. I mean, it doesn't just crack sitting there does it? It has to be dropped, squeezed or bent....right? Are TWSBIs really spontaneously cracking?

I have two and do not see how either would ever crack unless I caused it to crack. So, is it not a problem with the user rather than the pen?

Top Bottom