What's new

Coming back to DE after long time using cartridges

Hello everyone,
Have gotten back to DE after using cartridges for some twenty years. It all started when I went to get another pack of cartriges for my fusion and I decided the price was just too much for the kind of shave I was getting. I then went a bought the VDH starter kit and a pack of blades, walmart brand made in Isreal. When I got home I found my dads Old Spice mug, but the only razor I could find was his Gillette travel tech. I do remember he had a full size tech but unfortunatly its nowhere to be found. The travel tech looked to be never used, just to be sure I cleaned it and loaded a blade in. After going through the tutorials here, I took my shower and started to load my brush up with the vdh soap that I put into the old spice mug. I think the vdh bowl is just too small for me to get a good lather, I found that I had a much better time getting a good lather by face lathering, than using the bowl. It was then time to put put the blade to my face, the travel tech is small and kinda hard to hold, this however made me concentrate on my technigue and limited the amount of pressure that I used. Holding the razor just by the ball end of the handle and with very light pressure, I did my first pass wtg. It was fun hearing the wiskers get cut away and seeing nothing there after the razor went over my skin. I then rinsed, and relathered and proceeded with my atg pass. I was amazed at how smooth my face and neck was after I rinsed my face. Running my hand against the grain was just as smooth as running wtg, I couldnt feel any beard at all. I did have one small weeper on my neck, which was taken care of with a styptic pencil. I Then finished by using my Mennen skin bracer which I have always used, I just love that stuff. I got much less burn/sting with the skin bracer using a DE than when I used my fusion. Looking back I really dont know why I ever left DE shaving, I got the best, closest shave I had in 25 years. Now I just have to work on getting a full size razor, and upgrading my brush, although the vdh boar brush and deluxe soap didnt seem too bad. Im looking forward to learning more about DE shaving from all the wonderful people here at B&B.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!!!

Sounds like you've found out how much you used to like shaving. I spent most of my life with goo and carts, until I found this place. Now, my shaves are something I look forward to and the fine people of B&B have made me never want to leave.

Ask any questions you have, we're here to help. Happy shaving!!!

Thanks everyone, I'm very happy that I've rediscovered DE shaving, and found this site. I'll have to see how much my beard grows to see if I should shave tomorrow. I usually shave every other day in the morning. Looking forward to trying out different soaps creams, and getting that bbs on a regular basis. I can already see the rad forming. But I'm saving money by not buying those expensive carts anymore. Lol oh the slippery slope is getting slicker. Lol

Well, no I dont plan on saving too much. lol Definately more fun than shaving with carts, and a better shave. My beard is not fast growing so I shave every other day, I was having a little trouble with my travel tech because the handle is so short, was thinking of ways to make a new handle when I came across vaplanman's post on what he did with a autopunch handle. I did the same thing and now have a modified long handle travel tech that really seems to work better for me. I followed my routine, face lathered with a heavily loaded brush of vdh deluxe soap, and did my 3 passes, wtg,xtg, and atg. I wound up with a very smooth dfs with a few weepers on my neck and chin. It was after I shaved that I realized I forgot to change the blade out for a new one, this shave made it four shaves on this blade, and although it shaved well I think a new blade might not have dragged and cause the irritation and weepers. I finished with some nivea asb for sensitive skin that my better half got me, and really seemed to like it. She also picked up a tube of nivea shave cream for me to try out, has anybody used it and what were your thoughts? Here is a couple before and after pics of my modified tech as well as what my basic beginner shav setup looks like. . $travel tech 003.jpg$nivea shave cream.jpg$travel tech 005.jpg$travel tech 002.jpg$shave setup 001.jpg

Hello everyone,
Have gotten back to DE after using cartridges for some twenty years. It all started when I went to get another pack of cartriges for my fusion and I decided the price was just too much for the kind of shave I was getting. I then went a bought the VDH starter kit and a pack of blades, walmart brand made in Isreal. When I got home I found my dads Old Spice mug, but the only razor I could find was his Gillette travel tech. I do remember he had a full size tech but unfortunatly its nowhere to be found. The travel tech looked to be never used, just to be sure I cleaned it and loaded a blade in. After going through the tutorials here, I took my shower and started to load my brush up with the vdh soap that I put into the old spice mug. I think the vdh bowl is just too small for me to get a good lather, I found that I had a much better time getting a good lather by face lathering, than using the bowl. It was then time to put put the blade to my face, the travel tech is small and kinda hard to hold, this however made me concentrate on my technigue and limited the amount of pressure that I used. Holding the razor just by the ball end of the handle and with very light pressure, I did my first pass wtg. It was fun hearing the wiskers get cut away and seeing nothing there after the razor went over my skin. I then rinsed, and relathered and proceeded with my atg pass. I was amazed at how smooth my face and neck was after I rinsed my face. Running my hand against the grain was just as smooth as running wtg, I couldnt feel any beard at all. I did have one small weeper on my neck, which was taken care of with a styptic pencil. I Then finished by using my Mennen skin bracer which I have always used, I just love that stuff. I got much less burn/sting with the skin bracer using a DE than when I used my fusion. Looking back I really dont know why I ever left DE shaving, I got the best, closest shave I had in 25 years. Now I just have to work on getting a full size razor, and upgrading my brush, although the vdh boar brush and deluxe soap didnt seem too bad. Im looking forward to learning more about DE shaving from all the wonderful people here at B&B.
Bob, since you are Electrician i know that you have a very high sense of touch, but sometimes the small handles can be tricky to hold. I know that you like your fathers Tech razor, but you can add a heavier long handle to change the dynamics which may yield a better shave result.

Hi Alex, your absolutely right about the travel tech handle being difficult to work with, I like the tech but the handle was just a bit too small for me to use everyday. That's why I started looking for a replacement handle and found vaplanmans post about the auto centerpunch. I tried it and as you can see from my above pics it really transformed the razor for me. Being made of brass and for the most part solid, its added the length and weight that I was missing.

Top Bottom