What's new

L'Occitane Shaving Soap Questions

Decided to buy the puck because I already owned the stainless steel bowl for quite some time. I liked the scent of their cream, so I thought why not?

Umm.. Is it un-scented? I don't believe I have a cold or anything, but it could hardly detect a scent.

So I have done some reading and some people say that its scent strengthens after a few uses.. Is that the case?

What's bothering me is that now it's stuck to its bowl, which I used to use as a scuttle and was very happy with. I don't mind getting rid of the soap later but fear it will in the meantime oxidize the bowl because now I won't be able to wash/dry it like I used to.

Cade is not unscented, but I agree that it is lightly scented. Great performer. According to the L'Occitane website, the bowl is made of 100% recyclable, non-oxidizing aluminum..... so you should be good. (Even if you ever need to recycle it.... which you probably won't)

Ben

Cade is not unscented, but I agree that it is lightly scented. Great performer. According to the L'Occitane website, the bowl is made of 100% recyclable, non-oxidizing aluminum..... so you should be good. (Even if you ever need to recycle it.... which you probably won't)

Ben

+1.

I use the puck as a stick, very good performer!

Have you guys noticed scent difference after initial use? I would have to say, there's a difference between mild scent (like MWF) and almost none to it.

Good performance I would have to agree, but I fear to find it quite boring if I continue to smell hardly anything.

Have you guys noticed scent difference after initial use? I would have to say, there's a difference between mild scent (like MWF) and almost none to it.
Yes - I have noticed that.
I think all soaps lose scent to a great degree when stored in open air for prolonged periods. I use all my soaps like that. I store them on an open soap container for weeks while using them. After that I put them in an open ceramic container for storage.

Yes - I have noticed that.
I think all soaps lose scent to a great degree when stored in open air for prolonged periods. I use all my soaps like that. I store them on an open soap container for weeks while using them. After that I put them in an open ceramic container for storage.

I was hoping the scent intensifies after initial unwrapping or use. As of today, I don't think it has any scent to loose lol

I think it took my puck a half a dozen uses before I noticed the scent increasing in intensity. It has never been an overpowering scent, but I can now definitely enjoy it when I shave. Initially it was very faint.

What is your experience regarding protection? Mine is that this soap provides cushion but it lacks slickness. To me protection and glide is not one of its strong points.

What is your experience regarding protection? Mine is that this soap provides cushion but it lacks slickness. To me protection and glide is not one of its strong points.

My first shave with it today felt like economics. Dry gives you cushion but no slip, wet gives you glide but airy foam. Still would need to use it for a bit.

Curious though why scent could intensify after few uses? What's the science in it.

The Cade soap for me is very slick and protective when loaded heavily. I only judge soaps by these parameters. Cade is for me on par with my other Marseille soaps (Pré de Provence and Martin de Candre), that is absolute top class.

Thanks. I also load it quite heavily and although I find the lather it produces enough for shaving, still I do not find it top-notch. At least not compared to other soaps.

Maybe I should try this. I load very little usually, experience with MdC and others have me not need more than 3-4 swirls.

Good performance I would have to agree, but I fear to find it quite boring if I continue to smell hardly anything.

I don't know that I've ever really noticed the scent of a soap intensifying after use. That's not to say that it couldn't happen. It sort of makes sense that it would, given that the inner layers of the soap would possibly trap the fragrance and release it when lathered later.

Maybe you got a dud puck. I don't know..... I think Cade is a wonderful scent, albeit a bit muted. The aftershave balm is pretty strongly scented IMO and is also top notch. I agree, could be quite boring if no scent can be detected. When I first started wetshaving with a badger brush I bought a few unscented products just in case I turned out to be allergic to scented stuff. Once I determined that allergies weren't a concern, the unscented soaps and creams just sat with no use. The scent of the soap or cream is what makes the experience really wonderful for me.

Ben

I don't know that I've ever really noticed the scent of a soap intensifying after use. That's not to say that it couldn't happen. It sort of makes sense that it would, given that the inner layers of the soap would possibly trap the fragrance and release it when lathered later.

Maybe you got a dud puck. I don't know..... I think Cade is a wonderful scent, albeit a bit muted. The aftershave balm is pretty strongly scented IMO and is also top notch. I agree, could be quite boring if no scent can be detected. When I first started wetshaving with a badger brush I bought a few unscented products just in case I turned out to be allergic to scented stuff. Once I determined that allergies weren't a concern, the unscented soaps and creams just sat with no use. The scent of the soap or cream is what makes the experience really wonderful for me.

Ben

That's exactly my concern. If it continues to be quite muted then what's the point right? I find myself excited to shave because I had 'missed' a particular scent.

I've always loved the scent but was "meh" on the performance. I recently tried putting two drops of glycerine on the puck before loading, and WOW, what a difference. With the glycerine, it now gets high points for performance, too.

Is it possible you got the old formulation? Cade is my April soap and I find the scent to be on the strong side compared to many of my soaps. I'm loving it for both scent and performance. I put off trying it because I'm not big on veggie soaps (hated PdP) and Cade is on it's way to topping Harris as my favorite shave soap.

Top Bottom