What's new

Just had a fight with "Kirko" but Williams showed up and saved the shave.

I know it looks suspicious what with me being a member of WISE, but I was testing a couple of shave sticks that I'd use for travel. First up was a Palmolive shave stick which was great. Nice scent, slick, lasting lather. Skin felt great afterwards. Used it 3 days in a row with DFS shaves each time.
Was even thinking of becoming a $stickman.jpg

Today, I tried the Arko stick.. The first thing I noticed was the scent when I undid the foil. Urinal puck indeed. OK, I can get through this. Soaked it in my bowl for a few with my brush. Same prep as always. Hot water on face, rub stick on face, grab brush, lather up. Got a face full great looking lather in seconds. I'm thinking this is great. Gave it the "between the fingers" test for slickness and it felt right. Started my WTG shave. Got my right cheek done no problems (except the smell). Halfway through on my left cheek I could see the lather hardening....really drying fast. Hadn't got near my neck or upper lip yet. Wet my brush again and re-lathered those spots, but this was becoming a major pain. Rinsed it all off. Whipped up a good lather on the Williams puck in my bowl, and finished the WTG, rinsed, re-lathered with Williams and did my ATG and touch ups. Ended up with a DFS.

Same prep, same razor and blade. Not sure what I did wrong (if anything) but baffled as I've read great things about Arko. Really wanted to like it, but Palmolive beats it hands down IMHO.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Arko might not be for you but try using more product next time (if there's a next time).

Oh, I'll give it another try tomorrow. Not going to give up after one try.

I'll use more product as well.

BTW, I think I'm adjusting to the scent. I have a small bathroom and the Arko is on a shelf eminating it's smell. Not as bus station urinally as when I first unwrapped it.

definately give an update. I was planning on getting some arko for travel once my current setup runs out (VDH melted into a CLEAN deodorant stick). Like you, I have heard good things about arko, so I'll be interested to hear your results.

You say it was hardening on your face, sounds like more water is needed. Happened to me a couple times. Wetter is better with this stuff

Update:

Used more product and water this morning and got a nice, creamy lather that did not dry out.

I think I know where I went wrong yesterday. After hitting the product / water ratio sweet spot with the Palmolive stick the previous three shaves, (by accident probably) I kept that same ratio as I whipped up the Arko lather. I should have known better being a Williams guy!

"You need to smile as you use Arko. Just like Kirko does."

Tried that but kept getting lather in my mouth.
:biggrin1:

Update:

Used more product and water this morning and got a nice, creamy lather that did not dry out.

I think I know where I went wrong yesterday. After hitting the product / water ratio sweet spot with the Palmolive stick the previous three shaves, (by accident probably) I kept that same ratio as I whipped up the Arko lather. I should have known better being a Williams guy!

Somehow lately I wind up getting it in my ear. :blushing: Glad to hear you had success with Arko. It is such an awesome soap.

Update:

I just finished a Palmolive stick, and am back to Arko. I will concur that they use very different product/water ratios. But I get equally great shaves with both! :thumbup:

I guess you're just used to shaving with soap that has nonexistent cushion and glide and lather that dissipates into nothing? :biggrin1:

I guess you're just used to shaving with soap that has nonexistent cushion and glide and lather that dissipates into nothing? :biggrin1:

I take it you're not a fan of Williams. Actually, I've not had any problems with it, but hey, what do I know? I don't like Feather blades. :001_smile

See, even when you badmouth Kirko he wants to make it up to you and gives you a great shave.

Arko smells like Pez to me.

Arko is dah bomb.
Palmolive is dah bomb.
La Toja is dah bomb.

But for those of us in the US, there is simply no reason to pay the premium demanded by Palmolive and La Toja. However they're well worth buying in UK or Germany for Palmolive, and Spain for La Toja. Where they're way cheaper.
Yet...they are still not as cheap as a US bulk buy of Arko, even when they are bought in Europe.
So there's no escaping it. Arko reigns supreme.

Top Bottom