What's new

Please tell me a little more about my first antique purchase

Had a few minutes before my 6 pm meeting last evening and decided to stop in at the next door antique mall. Saw a couple GEMs, what appeared to be a trac 2, two rolles razors with one of them having the original box and paper work, and several straights scattered throughout. The only DE was what I've attached and picked up because it looked like it was still in good shape. Plus it was my first vintage razor. Since I'm new to the antique scene and excited to find a DE (stores in my area don't have any), I probably paid more than some of you would have, but for $18, I still consider it a decent 'risk'.

It appears to be a Simplex Military triangular slot (fat handle?) tech that also had 9 blades along with it. The case lid is bent, so it doesn't close securely, but I may be more interested in using it versus displaying it.

any additional info would be appreciated. I couldn't see a date code, so I have no idea when it was produced.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 217
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 220
Basically a Gillette Fat Handle Tech from WWII. I don't know enough about the military issue razors to know if the case is original to the razor or not. Simplex I believe was manufactured by the Federal Razor Blade Co. I'm not sure if during the war, Gillette's design was allowed to be manufactured by other companies for the war effort (pure speculation)...... to keep up with the demand. Many of the military issue razors during WWII were made from bakelite, including Techs with the regular brass heads with a black bakelite handle.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in here. Great find BTW!!

Ben

Seems like it's had most of its original finish polished off of it, but it might have been one of these black-handled Techs originally. Even though it might not be a collector's dream I don't think you did badly at $18 for a razor that's definitely very usable. It's certainly going to be as good or better than anything you can get today for that price, and it's got a heck of a lot more character.

proxy.php

Seems like it's had most of its original finish polished off of it, but it might have been one of these black-handled Techs originally. Even though it might not be a collector's dream I don't think you did badly at $18 for a razor that's definitely very usable. It's certainly going to be as good or better than anything you can get today for that price, and it's got a heck of a lot more character.

proxy.php

I could see that considering the top of the handle is still gold colored and the cap does look like someone may have tried to polish it with a dremel. If it is indeed a black handle version, I may try to repaint it (my other two razors are a DE86 and 2011 R101), so it would fit it with my "theme", haha. Probably keep it in this condition though for the "character" provided with shaving with a piece of history.

Like I said, the price doesn't bother me if I overpaid, as I was already an hour away from my home for the meeting and the first place I had come across vintage razors. Now that I've bought my first vintage, I may do a little more "haggling" in the future if I look to acquire additional ones. However, I may just sign up for a Paypal account and go through the BST here as I know that I could find good quality for reasonable prices.

The Simplex box is from a different razor - not original to the fat handle. Pretty nice pickup for $18.
Here's the case with it's original razor - a bakelite 3-piece.

$Simplex Mil.jpg

I think the identification as a "black handle" may be correct. I have one I bought in very good shape, with the original cardboard sales box. I was puzzled by the presence of the diamond logo on the cap, as well as a continuous bar. My nickle-plated fat handle of the same vintage (identified by the triangular holes in the base) does not have have a logo and has the short bars that yours has. Also, the top of the black handle razor's cap is a silver color -- also in good condition -- while the underside is gold.

Many people here find the pre-war fat handle is a good shaver. I agree. Enjoy!

I took a toothbrush and warm soapy water to clean it up and sanitized it in alcohol once I arrived home. Have shaved with it the last couple days and must say it is very smooth and does a great job. Along with my DE86 and R101, it will find a place in my weekly routine. Next up to look out for would be a super speed and an adjustable.

Top Bottom