What's new

Semogue 2013 "Cerda" Limited Edition vs SOC?

I have a semogue 1800 and i wanted to try another boar brush. I like what i've read about the 1305 but i'm sure i would chip the paint and that would really frustrate me. I've been reading a lot about different semogue brushes but I'm suffering from a lot of information overload. I keep hearing that the SOC is a really good brush and i see someone selling it on ebay for around 27 dollars. I see that the 2013 LE is also around 27 dollars so i was hoping that some of the more knowledgable members could give me the low down. Thanks so much.

I've been using the SOC for three weeks. It's a fantastic brush. Top of the line premium boar bristles. Mine was really soft straight out of the box. It just keeps getting better. My Cerda should be here any day. From the reviews I've read from other B&B members it's another Semogue winner. I'll try to compare the two ASAP. Someone posted a link from ebay. A new SOC was selling for 27.00 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I have been using the SOC for three weeks. It's a fantastic brush. Top of the line premium boar bristles. Mine was really soft straight out of the box. It just keeps getting better. My Cerda should be here any day. From the reviews I've read from other B&B members it's another Semogue winner. I was I could compare the two for you but that will have to wait.

It's cool. I should probably just buy them both. I noticed the SOC is normally around 45 dollars online, but one guy is selling them on ebay for 27-28 bucks. I almost bought it but then i saw the 2013 LE "cerda" on vintagescent.com, also around 28 dollars. I love the look of both brushes. It's my understanding that both the SOC and the LE will "bloom" (where the 1800 will not bloom much). I'm pretty new to boar brushes, but I love the idea of using something that justs gets better every day.

Get the Cerda while they still have some, you will not regret this purchase! If at a later date you're still drawn to the SOC then you can buy later as this will more than likely still be on offer.

They are both fantastic brushes and I enjoy face lathering with both of them, if I was pushed I would probably put me Cerda BC above my SOC boar. Buy the Cerda first and then save up and buy the SOC also.

Get the Cerda while they still have some, you will not regret this purchase! If at a later date you're still drawn to the SOC then you can buy later as this will more than likely still be on offer.

They are both fantastic brushes and I enjoy face lathering with both of them, if I was pushed I would probably put me Cerda BC above my SOC boar. Buy the Cerda first and then save up and buy the SOC also.

Yup, definitely get the cerda. I like it much better than soc!!

For $27 I don't see how you could go wrong. Mine just arrived (2 weeks shipping) and I also bought their acrylic stand for $4 more. Fantastic looking product and I'm anxious to try it.

Notice the loft difference between the SOC and the LE Cerda and it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I wanted a good brush for face lathering and the shorter loft on the Cerda was what I was after. Plus the cost of the SOC on vintagescent.com is $1 less than the The Portuguese Factory on eBay (looks like the same brush to me) and the shipping times look really slow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

One of my favorite Semogue boars was the 1800. I sold 2 SOC's because I thought it/ they were a little too big for me to face lather with, but most likely would be great for bowl lathering. The soc 2-band and 2012 soc SE were both smaller (lower lofted) and face lathering was not an issue.

id get the cerda.

I have another question about the 2013 LE. Is this really still one of the original 100? I can't believe they'd still have any left. I feel extremely lucky if they do.

I have another question about the 2013 LE. Is this really still one of the original 100? I can't believe they'd still have any left. I feel extremely lucky if they do.

The ones currently being sold are not from the original 100. They are not numbered like the originals.

ok, i didn't think so. I didn't know how it worked though. I'm just excited to have one. Mine is on order now.

I received my 2013 Semogue Cerda boar today. It's just an awesome brush with a lot of backbone. I would recommend this brush to everyone considering a quality boar. Because of the stiffness I like it better than my SOC.

The Soc backbone fell off a bit as it broke in more and more, otherwise it was fantastic. From what I'm hearing the Cerda has a little more backbone, so it sounds like a winner.

Sorry for the intrusion but i thought i would bring it up while were talking about it...

Since I'm in the market for a boar, how would the Semogue 830 compare to either the SOC or the LE Cerda brush? I get the impression that the Semogue 830, SOC, and Cerda LE are THE boar brushes to beat.

Looking for nice soft brush with backbone and control ability, I thought before spending the money on a high budget 2 band, i had better try a boar experience first hand.

...I get the impression that the Semogue 830, SOC, and Cerda LE are THE boar brushes to beat.

Looking for nice soft brush with backbone and control ability, I thought before spending the money on a high budget 2 band, i had better try a boar experience first hand.
I cannot comment on Cerda LE since I don't have one. In my experience, if you are looking for backbone and control ability 830 and SOC will not offer you either. Both, 830 and SOC have very soft tips and moderate backbone, with SOC being more densely packed than 830, but both with quite a splay. SOC is very nice but I found it hard to control due to its size and splay.
If you want backbone and control look into 1305, 620 or 1800, with the note that all these brushes are handmade so some variance is expected.

Sorry for the intrusion but i thought i would bring it up while were talking about it...

Since I'm in the market for a boar, how would the Semogue 830 compare to either the SOC or the LE Cerda brush? I get the impression that the Semogue 830, SOC, and Cerda LE are THE boar brushes to beat.

I would try the 620. Like Slice said upthread the SOC is great for face lathering at first, but once broken in has become a bowl brush for me. The 620 is a great face lathering brush even when broken in, soft but very stiff.

I can't comment on the Cerda since I haven't received mine yet, but the size and my experience with Semogue boars lead me to believe it will also excel.

Last edited:
I would try the 620. Like Slice said upthread the SOC is great for face lathering at first, but once broken in has become a bowl brush for me. The 620 is a great face lathering brush even when broken in, soft but very stiff.

+1. Try the 620. It's a face-lathering monster.

Top Bottom