What's new

Semogue 2013 "Cerda" Limited Edition vs SOC?

Sorry for the intrusion but i thought i would bring it up while were talking about it...

Since I'm in the market for a boar, how would the Semogue 830 compare to either the SOC or the LE Cerda brush? I get the impression that the Semogue 830, SOC, and Cerda LE are THE boar brushes to beat.

Looking for nice soft brush with backbone and control ability, I thought before spending the money on a high budget 2 band, i had better try a boar experience first hand.

The 830 is basically the 1305 knot in acrylic. The 1305 has very nice tips but after a while I found it to have a little too much splay for me. I used the knot in a restoration and set the knot at 50mm and it is perfect for face lathering.

I have had the 1250 for a couple months and it is very nice now and still has more backbone than the 1305 had after a month of use.

I have only had my 2013 Cerda since Monday, but it seems to be the perfect boar for face lathering. The tips are the same as the 1305 but the lower loft give it backbone with no splay. The size makes it very controllable for face lathering.

A Semogue 830 is a 1350 with a lucite handle. No worries about paint chipping, etc. A Cerda is a 830 OR 1305 with a slightly shorter loft

The SOC is a nice enough brush...surely larger and can do a fine job with a bowl or right on the face. Great handle, much bigger loft. Referred to by some as the "Best (production) Boar Brush Ever Made". Probably my favorite of the Semogues I have owned.
(1800, 620, 1305...all sold-none were problematic though)
(Amici, 830, SOC...all keepers-still in the quiver)

Last edited:
The Cerda has been my primary brush for the past few weeks. I really like the hair, broken in wonderfully, dense, yet soft, great backbone. Yet I would like a bit more loft.

I've got a 1305 and SOC boar on order but they won't be here for a while. I have a feeling a taller loft of the Cerda would be ideal, which is essentially the 830.

I cannot comment on Cerda LE since I don't have one. In my experience, if you are looking for backbone and control ability 830 and SOC will not offer you either. Both, 830 and SOC have very soft tips and moderate backbone, with SOC being more densely packed than 830, but both with quite a splay. SOC is very nice but I found it hard to control due to its size and splay.
If you want backbone and control look into 1305, 620 or 1800, with the note that all these brushes are handmade so some variance is expected.

Perfectly put! I would also add the 610 to the list of controlled backbonetastic brushes... And of course the Cerda too!

I have a 1305, 620, and SOC. I am falling out of love with the 1305...getting too floppy. Love the 620 except it's a bit short in loft and the handle can be slippery. SOC is simply a monster, great, but can be messy. I am really looking forward to the Cerda LE to give me the best of all my Semogues offer me separately..

The cerda is miles ahead of the 620 in terms of density and the way the tips feel on the face.

It's a true face lather monster and soc killer!!

The cerda is miles ahead of the 620 in terms of density and the way the tips feel on the face.

It's a true face lather monster and soc killer!!

I'm waiting for my Cerda (and Mistura) to arrive. I'm eager to try them, based on all of the positive things that I've heard.

"Miles ahead"? It's a different brush with a different hair grade and different density. Call it what you want but to me both brushes are very enjoyable for what they are.

My experience is similar to nav. The 620 felt small and a bit scratchy even after break in. Cerda got softer much quicker and has noticeably bigger knot to hold more lather.

Top Bottom