What's new

Blade Selections

I'm about to purchase a Merkur 34C, but have no ideas about which blade to go with. I've read that Feather are finicky, but past that I have no leaning. So..suggestions

Get yourself a sampler pack of blades and try them all. Each blade performs differently depending on your hair and skin types.

I've never been a fan of sampler packs since they are on the expensive side and depending on mix you might find yourself with more blades you don't like than those that you do. I would recommend looking around on the forums a bit and seeing what are popular and then trying a few 5 or 10 packs and go from there. Unless you are going for the absolute best blade you probably will find that you can target 2 or 3 types that will be almost a sure thing.

Some of the more recommended are:

Astra SP
7 o'clock yellow
Feather
Persona Red IP
Persona Blue Med or Lab
Shark SC
PolSilver SI

You might also want to try a small pack of Derby since it's one of those blades you either love or hate and for the price you could give it a shot.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to B&B!:001_cool:

Last edited:
I've tried it with Astra SP and Persona Blue Lab with great results. I used Derby for almost two years but have not yet tried it in the 34C. I think I heard that the blades they make now are inferior to the older ones. I have some Shark and Feather to try but I'm in no rush. I would be happy to send you a few different blades if you like, as I was recently gifted some by a generous B&B brother.

My vote is get the sample pack so you can try different brands. I bought the sample pack and found the Personna Red to be a perfect blade for me while the Astras and Feathers burn me a bit, however I'm delicate :001_rolle

A sample pack from Maggard's so you can choose which blades you want in it. Some I personally like are Personna Med Prep, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Red, Astra SP, Polsilver Super Iridium

These are my personal best blades, especially the top four.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Personna Blues, very sharp but smooth. Wilkensons are easy to find, and I'll use one from time to time, but I find them to be a little harsh. I've heard great stuff about Derbys, but they didn't impress me. I use a Merkur 34G and a Shavecraft 101. I just love the Personna Blues. It's a face thing.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've never been a fan of sampler packs since they are on the expensive side and depending on mix you might find yourself with more blades you don't like than those that you do. I would recommend looking around on the forums a bit and seeing what are popular and then trying a few 5 or 10 packs and go from there. Unless you are going for the absolute best blade you probably will find that you can target 2 or 3 types that will be almost a sure thing.

Some of the more recommended are:

Astra SP
7 o'clock yellow
Feather
Persona Red IP
Persona Blue Med or Lab
Shark SC
PolSilver SI

You might also want to try a small pack of Derby since it's one of those blades you either love or hate and for the price you could give it a shot.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to B&B!:001_cool:
+1 Making your own sampler pack is a fine idea - and these are good suggestions.

Sample pack is the way to go. If you are new to DE shaving like I am, I can pass on I have found it helpful to keep rotating the blades to a different one as they wear out and retry even the ones you didn't initially like. There are so many variables that are inconsistent when we first start, from technique to lather, don't make you your mind about a blade until you try it again at the end of a rotation you have gone thru a few times. Enjoy the experimenting. That's part of the experience.

Top Bottom