What's new

Sell now before it's too late: prices crashing on the 'Bay!

This time of year psychologically people are not in a buying mood, main reason is taxes.

This.

I haven't been DE shaving long enough to see price trends, but I do know that no matter how good the economy is the people that will shell out the big money for luxury goods cut back because they probably had to pay taxes.

Time to snag a bargain in that case.

Postage to Australia can be a steep.

The search begins

Well, the bargain stops here:

$Shipping.JPG

Hey BossB. I'll be in the UK in October. Can I send you something on sale from the U.S., and mail from the UK?

Pierce

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!

I have not for some time now been doing any purchases from Ebay.com. Mainly because my interests lie in non US products nowadays, like the British Aristocrats and custom brushes. I seem to only buy soaps from the US...

My point with my post was to illustrate how hard it can be to strike a bargain from Ebay.com for a person not living in the US.

That sounds like a bargain. All the other ones on eBay have gone for $207, $245, $280 and $292 in the last few months.

I may have to sell mine! (Not likely) But in all seriousness, I have $30 in it. As an investment advisor I have
to say that's a heck of a profit.

+1 for this. Right on the money. Also, as with any collectible, if you buy quality and mint or near mint, these will always hold their value. Middle of the road, not so much.

I'll try not to violate any rules with this post. I am and have been intimately familiar with the ebay razor market for some time now. In my experience the downturn has more to do with the time of year than an overall devaluing of the market. A few bargain sales do not a market depression make. This time of year psychologically people are not in a buying mood, main reason is taxes. May will likely bring a bit of an up tick that will level until the fall when we'll see another more steep upturn for the hollidays. Then the cycle starts over. At least that's my experience. There are many and broad variables that can effect these brief and cyclical upticks and downturns and I won't pretend to know them all but I wouldn't get worried or terribly excited about any of it.
That said, I would add that many of the Antique dealers and stores I frequent are beginning to notice the added demand on these items. A once $3.00 razor may be on the endagered list at any of these type of places. I would encourage shoppers to do so quietly so as not to raise their suspicion if you catch my drift. I always just tell them when they ask that "no, they're worthless, but they remind me of my grandpa" or some other B.S....
One bit of saving grace for the collector though is that there is A LOT to know about razor identification and valuation. Yes the info is available online but one must resolve to educate themselves in the area if they are going to get market value. Most casual sellers will not do the research or proper cleaning on a razor to get top value. And of course condition and completeness (cases, packageing etc.) are everything and whill almost always separate the wheat and chaff.

Pay what it's worth to you and the market will take care of itself.

Gillette is not the only razor out there and I think most are thinking all Gillette. Recent Yankee razor sales were strong as was Kampfe and the original green tin Home Razor went for $900.00. The serious collectors market is in place. Toggles aside double rings are the true collectors razor for Gillette and they are really in the transition process from reasonable to very high. Any given day can be any price with those.

Time to snag a bargain in that case.

Postage to Australia can be a steep.

The search begins

This... congratulations to myself yesterday on a bargain slim adjustable in perfect condition were cut short when shipping pushed the bloody thing to $75.

In any case I'll put my hand up to start a Troubled Razor Relief Program to buy up excess razors. When I have a container full I can ship to here in bulk, I'm sure that will restore prices for those who have overcapitalized on vintage Gillettes.

This.

I haven't been DE shaving long enough to see price trends, but I do know that no matter how good the economy is the people that will shell out the big money for luxury goods cut back because they probably had to pay taxes.
Perhaps for eBay US, but for the rest of the world? Not so much.

This.

Perhaps for eBay US, but for the rest of the world? Not so much.

I think this conversation applies mainly to DE razors--Straight prices are trending upward, if anything.

There are so many vintage razors around, and more are showing up on fleemarkets and the like.
People have found out that the can be sold at a good price....
It called supply and demand i guess?

Oh, I still see lots of DE, just not many collector's level ones... Straights in the wild are relegated to finding a restoration project, lately. My straights are so off the table for selling it isn't funny because replacing them is so difficult.

There are so many vintage razors around, and more are showing up on fleemarkets and the like.
People have found out that the can be sold at a good price....
It called supply and demand i guess?

The general trend for vintage DEs is still upward despite a seasonal periodic depression. And though tax time is for US residents, we live in a global economy with the US as a primary driver. When we hurt the world hurts... Generally. I see no need for worry or elation. I'm surprised overseas customers are having such problems with shipping. From Texas I can usually ship globally for $20 +\-.

I'd like to do my part here and help a forum brother out by offering to pay $12 for a mint condition Fatboy before the bottom drops out and they're completely worthless.

Top Bottom