What's new

World Trend back to DE Shaving?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It seems like the new DE wet shaver and membership here seems to be on the rise...and I welcome that. I wonder if the trend in the world outside of our forum is switching? Am I just imagining things? I guess there is really no certain way to track the DE shaver vs the Cart & can user. I have read in other posts that our numbers are very small and not a threat to say...Gillette's(P&G) kingdom. But wouldn't just a few percentage points in our direction get the attention(not necessary wanted) of the multi-blade corporations? Probably not. If they did they would just add another blade to their mutli. I guess I am a little protective of our wonderful underground society. We use secret words like DFS, Cella, Vantiver, Above The Tie, Arko and Bay Rum. I need that...and it makes me feel like a rebel.

Last edited:
In the big picture, we are still too little, and I don't think that will ever change. DE shaving is not unknown and the big cart manufacturers are well aware of our existence, but they also know today's world doesn't allow people to take some time for themselves and enjoy a good quality shave. They also know most men are just lazy to find the time to do it.

Wet shaving is BOOMING right now. I mean, just look at how many online vendors are popping up, they are EVERYWHERE, shaving soap makers too. SO many gents are getting back into this form of shaving that huge companies like Wal Mart, Walgreenes, CVS, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target and so many more are stocking their shelves with product. Not only that, but look at companies like Van Der Hagen, they are upgrading the quality of their soap and packaging, and offering MORE products for consumers. This is getting BIG! and I love it.

I, for one, hope it continues to expand. I think it's important for men to learn that true, proper shaving is an art that requires some amount of skill and technical proficiency.

P&G have more to fear from the producers of "knock-off" cartridges, like Dorco. You can still find cartridges, at low prices, for every cartridge razor handle that Gillette ever produced. In fact, my travel razor was made in the 70's and I can still buy good cartridges (Personna) for it.

P&G probably sees that risk as well, which is why they introduced the low cost Gillette Guard to growth markets.

Many people will go back to, or stay at, the older cartridge systems. Only a few will make the step to DE razors. Not enough to pose a real threat to P&G.

I'm a noob in the wet shave world. But since I joined up here I see a lot of people saying they just recently switched over from cartridges. Maybe word is getting around.

I expect the majority of guys will never see an advantage to taking twice the time each day for that unpleasant chore of shaving. But then every day a couple more come to realize that it doesn't have to be a chore, or unpleasant.

As an adolescent I never received any formal instruction in this. I was given a handful of disposables, because given my age at the time, that seemed to be what would lead to the least amount of bloodshed. Then at 18 I joined the military where we were given 12 minutes to go from smelly sweat pants, shower, shave, get in uniform, and ready for the rest of the day. A proper wet shave was not going to happen.
Now here I am at 47 just discovering it doesn't have to be that way.

Maybe most of the Cart & Can people will never understand. Maybe DE & straight razors will never be advertised on tv or sold in pharmacies like disposables are. All I know for sure is I'm retired from the military now and I can take more than 12 minutes just swirling a brush in a bowl if I want to. Some days there will be irritation and some days there will be blood, but shaving will NOT be an unpleasant chore in my world ever again.

I, for one, hope it continues to expand. I think it's important for men to learn that true, proper shaving is an art that requires some amount of skill and technical proficiency.

Why do you think so?

I always shaved in a traditional way, also with soap and brush. Not because I felt like performing an art, or because I wanted to master a skill ... but simply because I was taught that way, and I never was motivated to change my habits. The way I learned shaving (soap, brush, DE or twin blade cartridge) is convenient for me, because I am used to it.

If I was used to another system, I probably would be happy with that as well.

People shaving less is what they fear. The 2 day stubble is the new look with the kids these days.

I'd like to think that wetshaving is a growing thing, and I think it is. But a quick look locally at local stores (Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS) showed me that the wet shave world is small indeed. None of the stores in my area carry anything one small pack of generic blades. I would hope we continue to grow.

There are many industries that exist in the shadows of corporate advertising. Take Darts for instance. Many are sold online in the US but not many brick and mortar darts retailers. I do believe that outside the US there aren't as many discretionary dollars and the DE or straight razor will still be king. After all many of us now own de razors older than our current age.

Although many on this forum enjoy the luxury of Wet Shaving in many parts of the world I think Wet Shaving is the necessity if a clean face is wanted.

Wet shaving quickly became a niche market once cartridges were good enough. I remember the original 2 blade cartridges and they were brutal. The came the pivoting heads and the floating blades. Now they work well enough that most would never consider using a DE razor or straight or a SE. Barring some sort of catostrophic financial collapse in the world that will never change. It's just too easy to soap up in the shower and run that cartridge all over your face. I personally started to save money and am frankly astonished at how much I enjoy the whole process. I'll do my part and teach both of boys and my daughter if she wants to learn how to use a safety razor, then a straight. Most people think I'm nuts though. For reasons other than I shave with a 55 year old razor.

Why do you think so?

I always shaved in a traditional way, also with soap and brush. Not because I felt like performing an art, or because I wanted to master a skill ... but simply because I was taught that way, and I never was motivated to change my habits. The way I learned shaving (soap, brush, DE or twin blade cartridge) is convenient for me, because I am used to it.

If I was used to another system, I probably would be happy with that as well.

Well, this is definitely a personal thing for me: I'm a lifelong sufferer of razor burn and ingrown hairs. I'm 40 years old, and at about the age of 18 I shrugged my shoulders and assumed that this was simply a fact of life. No matter what I tried - 3 blade cartridges, 4 blade carts, 5 blade carts, electric razors - I still had lots of discomfort. I thought that was just how shaving was meant to be. But now I realize that the cartridges (again, for me) encouraged terrible technique which, in turn, led to these problems. I learned that if I take the time to do it right - meaning a careful shave with one blade on my skin - I never have to experience razor burn again.

With that Pawn Star guy hawking DE razors and blades on TV, it will be interesting to see if cartridges might seriously lose some market share. I would expect guys to jump at the chance to save quite a bit of money and possibly even end up on B&B. But then again, not everyone is a cheapskate like me.

The cost savings is nice, but I think this is a lifestyle choice. The cart razors certainly have it for simplicity. I elec shaved for 30+ years, then tried the cartridges. Like many, I struggled through the in gowns, the pimples and the razor burn. But now, for me, a very new wet shaver, I find my new shaving routine enjoyable and won't go back. I think it may be a matter of time until the "mass marketers" start to recognize the potential of this market. Steve points to that possibility with the Pawn Star ad. I'll bet the brass at Gillette is kicking themselves for not thinking of the ad first.

Personally, people like P&G are of no use to me anyway, when considering things that have my interest and my purchasing habits. So whether they 'notice' or not, I don't really care. I'm sure if the bigger boys noticed and jumped on the wagon, they'd just end up doing a cheaper version of something they did before anyway. Whether in shaving, radio, television, cars... anything really, everything that is good already happened.

I think that it may just be a case of confirmation bias. There is no doubt that wet shaving is seeing a spike in growth, but i doubt it out passes population growth.

Does anybody else intentionally walk down the razor aisles at their local superstores, and watch in laughter, at the poor souls trying to decide on which multi bladed junker and cream they are going to spend their hard earned money on? Or is it just me.......If it is just me, you really need to start watching, its hilarious! Its kinda like mall watching, but different. Anyways, enjoy this new hobby, I do.

Top Bottom