What's new

World Trend back to DE Shaving?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm the original OP. You guys are awesome. I agree with so many things that you have said here. We all have gravitated toward something that is pure in its upbringing. When I say pure I mean a time where the inventor was directly involved with the product that was simple but totally elegant and effective its function. Of course there was the profit thing...it's the American way...and put a lot of Americans to work. I'm just saying that if this "movement" is to grow it must remember its wonderful roots and listen to guys like you...the rebels.

Does anybody else intentionally walk down the razor aisles at their local superstores, and watch in laughter, at the poor souls trying to decide on which multi bladed junker and cream they are going to spend their hard earned money on? Or is it just me.......If it is just me, you really need to start watching, its hilarious! Its kinda like mall watching, but different. Anyways, enjoy this new hobby, I do.

well I usually don't see the poor souls and since those precious carts are usually under lock and key I browse the glob in a can stuff and like to read the nonsence that's in them and how they are the next best thing

We all have confirmation bias here. We are ardent wet shavers and thus feel that everyone else is also. Regrettably, with the marketing and profitability of carts, I feel we are destined to be a minority party.

Does anybody else intentionally walk down the razor aisles at their local superstores, and watch in laughter, at the poor souls trying to decide on which multi bladed junker and cream they are going to spend their hard earned money on? Or is it just me.......If it is just me, you really need to start watching, its hilarious! Its kinda like mall watching, but different. Anyways, enjoy this new hobby, I do.
No, but I always go by that isle to see if anything has been added other than the canned goo and cart razors. If decent soaps, creams or anything else I can use shows up, it won't slip by me.

People shaving less is what they fear. The 2 day stubble is the new look with the kids these days.

The perma-stubble or close-trimmed beard has been a look for a few years now, where "the kids" just use electric trimmers to mow to desired scruffy height, not even using carts. That I'm sure has hit Gillette & Schick in recent years.
Heck even Schick's web site shows a guy w/that look, although with a bare chest.

Most got into it like me. Just sick of $3-4 cartridges. Read about alternatives which led to dollar shave and dicussions of DE. I began with a tube of CO Bigelowe still using a Fusion. Kept going from there to here and 5 different DE razors.

Every time I go looking for de razors the the people in junk stores are always talking about how many people are coming in and buying them up. It's definitely more popular than a few years ago. The whole pawn stars razor thing is a good indicator. I bet a ton of people younger than me have never seen a de razor before that. I saw those in walgreens the other day too.

I have always had an interest in things that are old and that can be called an "art," but my recent conversion to the wetshave came purely out of necessity. I hardly ever shaved for years but was growing tired of my beard. However, shaving required two-different types of cartridge razors (neck and chin seemed to disagree) and I still wound up with burns and bumps. I thought I just sucked at shaving but since purchasing DE and using soap and a brush it's been a new experience. A clean shave and zero irritation. I assume that if I hadn't been looking for a more comfortable shave, I wouldn't have discovered it. I suppose it's also possible that I did just suck at shaving and the routine of the wetshave is more to credit than the equipment. Either way, I'll never go back.

I use carts and DE. Depends on how much time I have that day. So try not to laugh to hard at the guy in the Cart and Can aisle at Wally World, it could be me. :blush:

I use carts and de also. Only because I have so many de's left. I think the de shaving is a phase. If you look around the forum there's a lot of members within 1 year posting. My phase lasted about 6 months. I had fun. I still use the brushes, aftershaves, and soaps. TBH, I'd rather use the cartridges, they're easier to use and I don't need witch hazel or bleeding rocks after I'm done shaving.

The perma-stubble or close-trimmed beard has been a look for a few years now, where "the kids" just use electric trimmers to mow to desired scruffy height, not even using carts. That I'm sure has hit Gillette & Schick in recent years.
Heck even Schick's web site shows a guy w/that look, although with a bare chest.

I'm assuming that's why when you look between the brands in the racks that they have rows of all those Gillette and Shick trimmers that have Quattro and Fusion blades on the other end. I noticed at the Walmart near me as well, all the electric trimmers have been moved to the aisle with the after shave.

The public can be fickle. I don't think the Gillette execs are up at night wondering if the cart market is going to crash because wet shaving is taking over. I do think they are trying to figure out a way to cash in on it. Even if we are a minority market, they may want a crack at us because they have the resources to develop product, market it, and a lust for profit. It always comes down to numbers. Which translates to money and consumers. We are but a bump on a fly's rump right now, at least in the USA. We will see what the future brings. If Rick Harrison's commercials create enough sales and buzz, then we could see some really fun things happening. JMHO.

Not sure if it's just what we'd like to think but for like minded people as us yes DE wet shaving is the best way to go.

However, the majority of people, close friends of mine, scoff at the thought of putting a single blade to the skin.

Interesting ends of the spectrum are these observations.
1. a friend that I spoke to yesterday said he shave once a week and used a shick cart 1 time only and throws it out. Prep is only a splash of water and gel in a can...
2. another friend I spoke to this morning who has a very strong growth but shaves daily used a Fusion cart for 3-4 months...yes you heard right months not days or week...months. Prep is shower and fusion gel from a can. No razor burn, bumps or rash.

Hard to believe but they're set in they're ways..both hate shaving. I told them that I did too but with the DE it's now a pleasure for me.

So is there a change afoot...I'd safely say not a big one..it wouldn't even cause a ripple in the water.

Does anybody else intentionally walk down the razor aisles at their local superstores, and watch in laughter, at the poor souls trying to decide on which multi bladed junker and cream they are going to spend their hard earned money on?
No. Why would I make fun of others?

I think you should not mock other people, not even in silence.

My local walmart recently went from having the $9 Van der Hagen set to the $20+ something "Luxury" set. However, they still only stock the crappy Wilkinson Sword blades.

DE shaving will always be about trends in the developing world. In fact, DE shaving only survives today thanks to the developing world and given that cartridges offer speed and convenience while DE shaving does not, I don't ever see a trend reversal from carts to DE shaving.

Top Bottom