What's new

Proraso Preshave

I agree with using hair conditioner. If you are a daily hair washer, and use conditioner, it is no trouble to condition your beard also. I find that, for me, this works as well, if not better, than the preshave products.

Ron

I wouldn't have thought to use conditioner, but I guess it does the same thing. I use brylcreem, and it is basically a conditioner that softens my hair. It would be pricey use as a preshave though. I thought the pre-shave product softened the whisker and oiled the face to help with the glide. I guess the lather pretty much effects the glide anyway. I'll just sneak some of SWMBOs when I shower if it isn't too girly-smelly. If it is, I am pretty much convinced that Noxema may be a better way since it's only $4 for much more than Proraso.

I use the Proraso Preshave every day. After I wash my hair and then my face I apply the Proraso while in the shower. I leave it on until I get out of the shower and start lathering my face. I do also use Noxzema between passes. This routine works for me and all the irritation has gone. I do shave every day so I need all the prep.

Follow up: I bought a jar of Noxema yesterday. I was blown away by the size of the jar and price compared to Proraso pre-shave. I'm not crazy about Noxema's smell, but it seemed to work fine this morning. I thought I had a little tugging in some places, but it have been just my technique. And I used VDH luxury, which isn't known for the best glide, but is a fine soap regardless. I have a nice dfs with no more than a little irritation in a typical trouble spot. I'll keep experimenting with it. I hope it works because it is so much more economical than ordering Proraso Pre-Shave. I still used the Proraso AS splash, and have no intention of stopping. I love that stuff.

Follow up: I bought a jar of Noxema yesterday. I was blown away by the size of the jar and price compared to Proraso pre-shave. I'm not crazy about Noxema's smell, but it seemed to work fine this morning. I thought I had a little tugging in some places, but it have been just my technique. And I used VDH luxury, which isn't known for the best glide, but is a fine soap regardless. I have a nice dfs with no more than a little irritation in a typical trouble spot. I'll keep experimenting with it. I hope it works because it is so much more economical than ordering Proraso Pre-Shave. I still used the Proraso AS splash, and have no intention of stopping. I love that stuff.

i'm not how your applying it. If your face is wet and your fingertips it just requires a small amount to massage into your whiskers. Really helps with the lingering eucalyptus smell.

Yeah, I think I was using to much before. I used about a dime size this morning and left my face wet before I spread it around.

Regular hair conditioner gives me the same effect but without the nice menthol and eucalyptus scent...
+1. Also, I give my face a mild rub with loofah gloves when I rinse the hair conditioner off to exfoliate and help keep hairs from turning around and growing back on themselves.

I agree with most of the repsonders; I am using the Proraso Pre-Shave, AOS pre-shave oil and have found the biggest factor in a good shave is (not surprising) the creme and blade. But I do like the AOS post-shave balm, for some reason...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned either of these alternatives:
- Edwin Jagger preshave lotion
- Emulsion Myrsol
They're very similar. A small dab (1/2 an almond?) of either one before each pass helps my shave a lot. They also have subtle but nice cooling effect.

I don't wash it off. I wasn't ever sure if you should or shouldn't. The major factor for me is cost. If Noxema works as good as Proraso, then I'm going with Noxema for the savings.

I wouldn't wash off Proraso as a pre-shave. While Noxzema is produced for face washing and I myself do wash it off before shaving, I'm sure it's perfectly fine to leave it on until your post-shave rinse.

That was my thinking. I figured it is a soap with oil and that it wouldn't hurt to have shave soap on top of it and whipped into it. It didn't give me any problems this morning.

You certainly don't have to use Proraso pre-shave and there are many other products that will perform similarly, but I have yet to find one that delivers the same dose of menthol/eucalyptus.

Have you tried different blades to combat the tugging? I struggled with tugging for a while and used Proraso pre-shave as well. I did think it helped until I found Gillette Silver Blues and the Mercur 37c slant, now I seldom ever experience any tugging. I realize blades and razors are a personal thing, but this is what worked for me- and mastering lather.

I didn't find that it worked well as a pre-shave for me. But, I use it as a post-shave with great results (after using the Proraso cream). I personally use my own pre-shave oil with great results (Olive oil, Almond oil, Lavender oil).

The Proraso doesn't pre-condition my beard in any noticeable fashion but it does a really decent job as a post-shave balm/moisturizer. Tames the razer burn and tight face.
I've stopped using it pre-shave, and now ONLY use it on my neck for razor burn (the white style) where it seems to do a pretty decent job

Glaze 3, I have thought about changing blades, and plan on trying the Gillette Blues When I started, I bought the 100 pack of Personna med labs and am still plowing through them. Feathers seem to be too rough on my face. That may be technique, which has improved since using them, but I still remember those early days of road rash on my face and wince when I think about the feathers. I am considering getting a slant. I think it will help a good bit. I have recently started doing the Gillette glide and have been very happy with the results.

I've been using the Proraso white preshave for several months now. I find it kind of unnecessary if I am shaving daily because the soaps I prefer (usually Cella, MWF) do a fine job on daily stubble and don't really need any help. but when I have a day or two extra growth and the stubble is long and rough the Proraso really makes a difference. I rub it in first thing and let it sit while I gather everything else together and soak my brush, then face lather right over it.

I stopped using the Proraso preshave when I started face lathering - the extra prep my stubble gets more than makes up for the preshave

Top Bottom