What's new

Proraso Preshave

Two questions:

1) My jar is starting to run out, and I'm thinking is it really worth it to get more. Did anyone stop using it and just go straight to lathering and not really notice much difference? Has anyone noticed a big difference?

2) Amazon has three different pages and prices for the pre-shave. One is refresh, one isn't, and others are just in different jars. Is it the same product?

I stopped using the Proraso preshave because I didn't notice it helping my shave in the least. I received a sample of Jack Black Beard Lube with an order I got from West Coast Shaving and I really like it, it was very slick and softened my beard just fine. I switched to the Jack Black with good results but also discovered using my wife's hair conditioner in the shower works even better than the Jack Black.

1. Try shaving without it before you run out, and before you buy an new one...Personally, I love the stuff because you can feel that menthol and when you clean it off, your face feels squeeky clean. That stuff gets rid of dirt and unnessary oils that only make your razor work harder. OR you can just buy some Noxema, I hear it's like $4 for a big tub and it does the same thing.

2. It's the same stuff.

Regular hair conditioner gives me the same effect but without the nice menthol and eucalyptus scent.

I've never tried "Proraso Refresh" so I can't speak to that. On Amazon, it says it is a new formula, so I suspect it is different.

I'll bet "The Italian Barber" has the answer. I purchased a big Barber Shop Size jar of Proraso Preshave from that website. At 500 ml, it dwarfs those little glass jars. I like have the professional size monster in my shave den. Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch.

Last edited:
Regular hair conditioner gives me the same effect but without the nice menthol and eucalyptus scent.

I've never tried "Proraso Refresh" so I can't speak to that. On Amazon, it says it is a new formula, so I suspect it is different.

I'll bet "The Italian Barber" has the answer. I purchased a big Barber Shop Size jar of Proraso Preshave from that website. At 500 ml, it dwarfs those little glass jars. I like have the professional size monster in my shave den. Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch.

Is the BIG jar made of glass or plastic?

A lot of folks have been touting Noxema as a cheaper alternative. I've never tried it, but it's worth a try.

I went from Dreadnought oil to the Poraso white and I noticed a huge improvement.

I found that there are much better pre shaves out there like RR pre shave soap or oil's so i don't buy it. Actually i stooped using proraso products in general i know there is a lot of people that love it but after using MDC, T&H, Acca Kappa, etc i dont see myself every buying another proraso product to me. I only wish that i skipped it all together and just bought the expensive stuff. Anyways i had both proraso pre-shaves white and green and didn't care about either one.

I actually just ran out myself. I had a tube of Cremo Creme, tried that on top of my preshave oil, Not bad at all. Still need a few shaves with the cremo to see how it compares to the proraso pre shave.

The Proraso doesn't pre-condition my beard in any noticeable fashion but it does a really decent job as a post-shave balm/moisturizer. Tames the razer burn and tight face.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I tried using a little less this morning. I may have been using too much. I bought the jar in January and am already running out. I thought, $10+ every 2/5 mos for preshave seems like a little much. I may get another jar and see if I can stretch it a little bit better this time.

I think its like the blades what works for one may not work for another.

Yes it works for me and I like the menthol feeling and smell.

I plan to keep using it.

This are much better options because of the cost of Proraso. . Noxzema cleansing skin cream. Usually around 4.00 dollars for a 12 oz jar. The other is option black African shaving soap with Shea butter. I read where Walmart is clearing them out for 4.00 dollars a jar. It works maybe even better than Noxzema without the smelll. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/shea...-shave-butter-6-oz-cream/7q-1066#.U04w8ye9KSM

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...I-Love-You/page8?highlight=Noxzema+I+love+you

I just recently tried the Black African Shaving Soap as a pre-shave lubricant. I apply it just like Noxzema. It works great.

Last edited:
I much prefer the Proraso as an after shave balm as opposed to a pre-shave. I prefer Noxzema as a pre-shave, and as many others have noted, the price cannot be beat. I think that the Noxzema has some medicinal value in helping to prevent and soothe any irritation. To be honest, I don't find much value in using pre-shave oils, creams, etc. when using a good shave soap or cream. There is enough lubrication and conditioning with just the cream or soap IMHO. I know all of that seems a little contradictory, but most of the time I don't use a pre-shave. If I am trying a new razor, blade, etc. I will apply the Noxzema in hopes of warding off potential problems.

Matt

+1 on this. I got a jar when I started because I read so much about it. DOn't find that it makes any difference to me. I am too cheap to selit at a loss, rather use it over time.

When I run out of this, I'll go the Noxzema route and get more product for less $$.

The Proraso doesn't pre-condition my beard in any noticeable fashion but it does a really decent job as a post-shave balm/moisturizer. Tames the razer burn and tight face.

Top Bottom