What's new

Bicycle endurance: help a couch potato out!

I wanted to just drop a quick word in here about pain. This isn't aimed at any particular poster here, but is inspired by a few messages posted in this thread. First let me say that I am not a medical professional, I'm just some guy posting something on an internet message board and that's how this post should be taken. In other words, do your own research and assume your own liability.
Somewhere along the line, people got the idea that they should never feel pain. If something causes pain, you must cease it immediately. Part of that seems to be that if you are engaged in a rigorous activity and feel pain and/or discomfort, you need to stop. You've over exerted yourself. This is entirely not true.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about pain or discomfort that signals injury. We all know what that feels like. It usually a sharp, immediate pain. Any sharp, immediate pain needs to be assessed immediately. I'm talking about the dull ache of fatigue or soarness that we get.

When you're working out, running, biking, swimming, whatever; that pain is a backseat driver telling your brain to stop. It's telling you to slow down. It's the pain that wants you to do nothing. It's saying you're overexerting yourself and need to stop. The thing is, this pain is normal, natural and a sign that you are actually making progress. As I posted previously, this pain shows up way to early. It wants you to stop at the first sign of fatigue.

That pain is actually the 'gatekeeper' to your physical reserve. Back in caveman days, this pain would tell you to mellow out so you could keep your tank full for when the sabertooth tiger attacked, the forest people chased you, or you had to battle Chocodiles.
That pain is still there, but we don't need it to guard our reserves anymore. So when it pops up, we shouldn't listen to it, other than to realize that we are now tapping into our physical reserve, which is exactly what we want. The more we use that reserve, the larger it will become. This is endurance building.

When you are working out, that pain means we are doing something right. We are in the cardio zone where our heartrate is being worked up, our muscles are being challenged. The longer you work through that pain, the more your endurance builds.
And yeah, anytime you go from 0 activity to a lot, you are going to get tendons and muscles in your knees and ankles that swell and get sore. Those are also temporary conditions. Use RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) to take care of that. That will go away as those pieces become stronger. There are low impact ways to build strength in those muscles, google it. Lots of info out on the interwebs.
Pain can indicate a failure, but in a cardio workout pain mainly is an indication that you're stretching yourself, which is actually what you want.

+1, couldn't agree more. You will feel pain (the non injury type) throughout your exercise if you're doing it hard enough to make gains in strength and endurance. Your brain will be screaming at you to stop. All normal. Muscle soreness post workout (often delayed by 24-48 hours) is completely normal as well, and it is indicative of muscle damage/repair - the mechanism by which you grow muscle tissue and get stronger.

+1, couldn't agree more. You will feel pain (the non injury type) throughout your exercise if you're doing it hard enough to make gains in strength and endurance. Your brain will be screaming at you to stop. All normal. Muscle soreness post workout (often delayed by 24-48 hours) is completely normal as well, and it is indicative of muscle damage/repair - the mechanism by which you grow muscle tissue and get stronger.

+2. You'll hear it referred to as DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness. I'm in the gym five days a week and to be honest I look forward to the feeling. It makes me feel every muscle when I move.

+2. You'll hear it referred to as DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness. I'm in the gym five days a week and to be honest I look forward to the feeling. It makes me feel every muscle when I move.

Yep, I get delayed soreness as well, and I take it as a sign I've worked hard enough.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wanted to just drop a quick word in here about pain. ...

My simple rule about pain during exercise:

If it's in the muscles, it's good; if it's in the joints, it's bad ... stop now!

I am not a doctor, did not play one on television, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

+1 on DOMS... that's why we have rest days. We should be using that time to assess our progress, as well as the condition of our muscles/joints.

Man I am so out of shape. I have quite a bit of extra weight on me (5'7", 212lbs - 215lbs) and since it's uncomfortable to run at this point, I opted to get a bike. Much easier. Here's the problem though. Since I've been sitting at a desk everyday for the last 10 years, my legs have gotten weak. I can bike on low resistance for about 5-6 minutes. Sometimes I can do maybe 10 min. It's not that I get winded or tired, it's more that my legs just are weak and give out. I just need to build endurance. What's the best way to build my endurance at this stage?

Gradual progress is the key. Setting goals and recording data will motivate you to keep going. Once your legs tire, do some push-ups, shoulder presses, rows or pull-ups. Again writing down your minutes, resistance, sets, reps...will help you keep going.

Without reading through the read, I would offer this to our OP:

Cycling is a great exercise because it uses a large muscle set. Even though our legs are used every day, the walking motion is different to cycling but is complementary. If you wish to improve your bike endurance, ride as much as you can but don't forget to climb stairs, walk, do squats etc as well.

Christian,

I would also recommend some taking protein. I don't go overboard, but a shake of casein and colostrum about an hour before bed helps with my recovery times, and serves as a decent dessert. Any GNC or nutrition store will be able to sort you out.

Make sure you get your bike fitted and adjusted to you. Make sure you're comfortable, and don't give yourself excuses. Work through the burn, and recognize legit injury; any setbacks at this early stage could undo all your efforts. Remember, you're on a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy the ride, literally and metaphorically.

Best of luck,
Mike

When I got back into Cycling years ago I road 8km on a MUT trail near my condo and thought I was going to die. I started increasing my distance with every ride, riding at a comfortable pace letting all your muscles adapt. Leave the high intensity training until you have a base of at least 1000 KM. Now my recovery rides are 30 km, long rides on the weekends are 100-170km during the summer and some 50-60km days during the week for intervals and steady state/tempo. Endurance just takes time. It's also a good idea to work on your core strength, it's the foundation of you pedal stroke and helps prevent lower back pain while riding. A great website with lots of advice check out CPTIPS.

Man I am so out of shape. I have quite a bit of extra weight on me (5'7", 212lbs - 215lbs) and since it's uncomfortable to run at this point, I opted to get a bike. Much easier. Here's the problem though. Since I've been sitting at a desk everyday for the last 10 years, my legs have gotten weak. I can bike on low resistance for about 5-6 minutes. Sometimes I can do maybe 10 min. It's not that I get winded or tired, it's more that my legs just are weak and give out. I just need to build endurance. What's the best way to build my endurance at this stage?

I was about exactly that size and just as out of shape when I started biking in 2009.

My main piece of advice is to bike outside, don't mess around with a stationary bike. Lots of bike shops have sales around this time of year and you can often get good deals on websites like Craigs List.

If I had to only do a stationary bike, I never would have stuck with it. You live in one of the world's most beautiful places. Get outside and start biking!

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Lots of good advice here.

+1 on spinning instead of mashing.

+1 on overcoming your mind ... I'm STILL working on that.

+1 on commuting by bike if you can. I do, at least 2-3 days a week, and I'm hoping to up that to 3-4 with even a 5 day week in there. 12 miles one way ... so by the end of the day I have 24 miles and I didn't have to do anything "special" to log those miles. Add in a long ride on the weekends and you're well on your way to becoming a cyclist. :)

Top Bottom