What's new

Hone storage?

So, now I have my 8 stones, all in an paper box..

So, how do one store these?

I was thinking about trying to create an wooden box, inside of which I could stack two other wooden boxes, and these shoudl be like 3.5 inch or so high, and the stones I could just slide them down, so they are standing on the long side, not lying flat.

Are there any issues with stone-storage that I should be aware of?
I have
DMT D8C, D8E, D8EE
Norton 4K/8K
Belgian Coticule
Blue stone
Chinese 12K
Shapton 16K

I have read earlier on these forums, that storing in water is not an option, so I was thinking that wood, could provide some sort of breathing, so the stone could dry inside the box.

And I guess that all of these stones are very hard, so they does not disintegrate, or change shape if they are not lying flat?

Or does it exist some fancy containers that could do?

Oh, and, what would really be interresting is.. how does Joel store his 50+ stones?, he probably would need an librarian?

I let them sit out on a desk on a "rack" until they're completely dry, then store them in a drawer - on desks, in boxes, etc. I really have just a ton of hones - with 13 more on the way :rolleyes:

I even did not think they produced so many hones.. I guess we are talking about different types of hones?

I have about 10 of them but just keep them stacked one atop of another. You can keep the water stones in water all the time just put a little bleech in the water.

I'm kinda stacking some now, but I'm afraid that someone bumbs into them, and make a nick in the surface.. Maybe they are so hard that that should not happen?

Storing waterstones in water, I have heard that you should not do that with the Norton, but the three others are safe? (If they are waterstones that is.. chinese, coticule, bluestone)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a lot of stones, and I think the main consideration is how long they take to dry, which can vary greatly.

I find that coarser grits take longer to dry than fine grits from the same producer. A Shapton 12K may dry in 15 minutes, whereas a 220 may take an hour. The harder, ceramic based stones dry very quickly overall.

Stones that create mud can take forever to dry- King, Norton, Suehiro. I have a 1K King Hyper that takes about a week to fully dry.

My storage solution was very cheap and effective- dollar store plastic shoe boxes. They can hold from 2-4 larger stones, or more than a dozen thin ones. After sharpening, I air the stones out by placing them in the box at a 45 degree angle. When they're dry, I close up the boxes and stack them in a drawer. Works perfectly.

Top Bottom