What's new

Imaginary Authors Sample Pack

I haven't been around B&B for a while, so I've only just become aware of Imaginary Authors and the link here. I recently received the sample pack of all the fragrances and because I was so impressed, thought I'd add my thoughts. Firstly, the sample pack itself is great - I love the fact that the samples come in spray vials rather than little splash on vials, they are a very generous size, really nicely labelled, and the cardboard strips that detail each fragrance and double as test strips are a simple but genius idea. And so the fragrances:

The Cobra and the Canary - first impression reminded me of Knize Ten, but this has a bit more going on and the leather is slightly toned down by the tobacco. Very masculine fragrance. Definitely full bottle worthy.

Cape Heartache - reminded me of original Polo initially, but this is a bit different. More smokey, almost like burning pine needles, with something soft in there balancing it. Great fragrance, definitely full bottle worthy.

Bulls Blood - reminded me of Montale Black Aoud, with more muskiness. This is a strong fragrance, probably not for everyday wear, but that is not to say it's not a great fragrance. I'd consider a full bottle if I didn't already have Black Aoud.

Mosaic - my first impression of this was that it smelled like tiles or tiling grout. Then I read the frag description and it mentioned sitting in a Roman bath house and I thought 'yep, that's it!' This is a light, pleasant fragrance with nothing standing out. Perfect for office wear. I generally wear Penhaligons frags for office wear, otherwise would consider a full bottle.

Memoirs of a Trespasser - a vanilla scent, really well balanced with the benzoin note which takes away the over bearing sweetness vanilla can have. I've read people compare it to Tobacco Vanille, but although there is a similarity, this has much more going on. Considering a full bottle.

Violet Disguise - beautiful woman's fragrance. I immediately told my wife to start wearing it and she loves it as well. I will be getting a full bottle for her.

I haven't worn the others yet, but Falling Into The Sea smells great on the test strip. As you can see, I'm already set on numerous full bottles - discovering this house is going to become very expensive!

If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and get the sample pack. It's inexpensive, well presented and shipped quickly (even to Australia). Just be prepared to spend more....

Got samples of the Bulls Blood and love it. Will be buying more. The initial fragrance reminds me of Macallans scotch but sweeter.

A great line! And a friendly perfumer, too. Soft Lawn is excellent, but I was also quite fond of Memoirs of a Trespasser and Bull's Blood. But my favorite is probably Falling Into the Sea. Oh, wait, there's the "leather" from Machus, too, which is quite nice!

I've continued testing all these fragrances for the past 10 days - Cape Heartache is definitely my favourite. The Cobra and the Canary is awesome but I get no longevity at all which is a real shame. Memoirs of a Trespasser has grown on me, and the good thing is it's a pretty unisex fragrance, so the wife can wear it too. Falling Into The Sea is a nice citrus-aquatic style fragrance which is also unisex. The Soft Lawn is pleasant but didn't really do anything for me.

Mosaic is a funny one - I really like it but I have no idea why. It's just a nice, light fragrance that lasts all day.

I must be the only person on the internet who wasn't blown away by this line. I too got a sampler, with high hopes, but none of them did much for me. Oh well--congrats to everyone else on finding scents that work for you!

I must be the only person on the internet who wasn't blown away by this line. I too got a sampler, with high hopes, but none of them did much for me. Oh well--congrats to everyone else on finding scents that work for you!

They're not for everyone. I like most of them, but since I'm younger, believe I like more modern stuff versus the complicated IA stuff. Like I said, I like most of it, but cape heartache is terrible for me. I smell strawberry with a smoky forest fire, and just don't like it. If he ever comes out with a sporty aqua scent, I'll be all over it. And Josh does have great customer service.

Top Bottom