What's new

Silly what shoes to wear to an interview question.

I put another couple of coats on the brown shoes and got a great shine on them.

It was a seventy plus degree day here in central Ohio (it was forty yesterday). So I opted for the brown shoes and belt.

My suit rivaled what the managers were wearing and the people doing the interview complimented me for dressing the part.

I have a second interview next Friday. It will be a cooking interview. In the business we call it a stage. I'm hoping to not let them down!

I do need to trim the goatee and mustache for the stage. I can keep a beard. Girlfriend will be sad about it but will be happy I can keep a beard.

Thank you all for the well wishes and PM's :D

Dude, you're not defending one of society's serial killers here. You could have pulled it off with the black shoes, but it is a country club, not a Philadelphia law firm. I'm thinking the tan were the way to go. See? My last gig was a prep chef at a very prestigious country club. All management wore polo shirts. Go figure.

John-Sounds like you did great on the interview. Buff them babies up for round 2!!! You will you be inviting all of for an appetizer on your first day at the new place, right?!

Since you only have tan or black and it's a dark suit I would tend to black, but my preference here would normally be dark brown or burgany/ox blood shoes with all but a navy or black suit.

No pepper or Asian fish pants? Those are my favorites
I only ever where black and white cheques or plain black. I don't like the pinstripes and everywhere I've worked Its been an open kitchen and we want to look the part. Not saying your cloths make you cook better... I can't pull off the peppers or flames or bacon and eggs.

Maybe later in life when I'm not as serious. :)

So I have an interview at a country club for a sous chef job. I was planning on wearing a darker charcoal suit. It is a small ribbed material and but nothing flashy or whatever just modern fit. I'm wearing a white shirt and a red plaid patterned tie. It is a small plaid with blue and gold but mostly red. Once again nothing flashy. So far so good

Now to me the black shoes and belt wouldn't go and I have tan shoes and a tan belt that I think will go better. Oh OH,
I know typically tan shoes and tan belt are a no no for an interview but times have changed. Oh Oh Oh don't re-invent the wheel The country club is in a very well to do neighborhood. Lots of money. People with old money tend to be conservative Clientele will have lots of money but mostly going to the world class golf course. The club has a lot of other amenities as well. I have not been there but I don't want to show up on a beautiful April afternoon and look dull and drab.You don't want to look foolish either But I don't want them to think I put fashion first- or do I since we are talking about making food pretty... The pretty food has nothing to do with fashion, wear the tan shoes after you have the job

:blink:

If it matters, both pairs of shoes are cap toes. The black ones are Bostonians when they made them better and have a better finish on them that the tan shoes that are no names I got off the bargain rack somewhere but look great with the suit.

Also if it matters, I have a full handlebar mustache and long goatee both waxed. (Which could disappear if required for the job.) My beard is short as well as my hair. My hair on top is a little longer but just long enough that you can see the part on the side and I paste it down when I'm not wearing a chef hat.

Mustaches and neatly trimmed beards are OK, tan shoes with a charcoal suit at an interview not so much.

Always boring black shoes with a navy or charcoal suit for an interview. #1 rule in dressing for an interview for me has always been don't risk looking better than the interviewer!

Top Bottom