What's new

Glad I purchased on clearance

I was at Walmart today and noticed some shaving cream on clearance for $4. It was the African Black Soap Shave Butter Crème. The box said that it, "Delivers the closest shave possible with no razor drag, heals ingrown hairs, razor bumps and skin discolorations." So I took a gamble on it without checking out any online reviews. Unfortunately the box didn't mention some other things about it that the reviewers were quick to point out.

Mainly that it isn't a lathering cream, but has the consistency of a heavy lotion. I applied it with my shaving brush and realized I should of just used my fingertips (which the box did list as an option). This cream was so thick that some of it stuck to my razor and blade and wouldn't rinse off under running water, but it did give me a good reason to clean my brush. Plus it had a weird scent to it that seemed to stick around even after using my aftershave.

As far as the shave went, it did protect my face and neck fine. However, it didn't protect any better than the Arko cream or any soaps I've used before. So I won't be using it again and am happy that this lesson only cost me $4.

That stinks...you can still take it back to walmart next time you go there. I know it's only $4, but $4 is $4 and you shouldn't have to live with a product your not happy with.

If you use a pre-shave lubricant like Proraso or Noxzema the black African soap works great. Before you toss it in the trash try an experiment. Wet your face and massage just a small amount into your whiskers. Apply your shaving soap directly over top. Do this for each razor pass. I'm finding I like like it better than Noxzema. It doesn't have the strong eucalyptus smell.

I've seen this at a couple of stores and carried it around, but every time I put it back on the shelf. I'm glad I never bought some.

I picked some up at Wal-Mart yesterday and used it today. I used it in place of noxzema. It likes water I found. A small layer on my face before I lathered up and it was great. It was slick, and doesn't smell bad. I don't know if it's better than noxzema, but at least equal. I could tell my blade was dulling today and figured the alum block would sting pretty good, but nope. Barely any sting at all, even in the spot it ALWAYS stings. So, maybe it does have one up on the noxzema.

I was at Walmart today and noticed some shaving cream on clearance for $4. It was the African Black Soap Shave Butter Crème. The box said that it, "Delivers the closest shave possible with no razor drag, heals ingrown hairs, razor bumps and skin discolorations." So I took a gamble on it without checking out any online reviews. Unfortunately the box didn't mention some other things about it that the reviewers were quick to point out.

Mainly that it isn't a lathering cream, but has the consistency of a heavy lotion. I applied it with my shaving brush and realized I should of just used my fingertips (which the box did list as an option). This cream was so thick that some of it stuck to my razor and blade and wouldn't rinse off under running water, but it did give me a good reason to clean my brush. Plus it had a weird scent to it that seemed to stick around even after using my aftershave.

As far as the shave went, it did protect my face and neck fine. However, it didn't protect any better than the Arko cream or any soaps I've used before. So I won't be using it again and am happy that this lesson only cost me $4.

I picked some up for $2 at my local Walmart. Have yet to try it.

I picked some up at Wal-Mart yesterday and used it today. I used it in place of noxzema. It likes water I found. A small layer on my face before I lathered up and it was great. It was slick, and doesn't smell bad. I don't know if it's better than noxzema, but at least equal. I could tell my blade was dulling today and figured the alum block would sting pretty good, but nope. Barely any sting at all, even in the spot it ALWAYS stings. So, maybe it does have one up on the noxzema.

Plus One: I had the same experience

I don't think this is in the same category as Noxema or Proraso pre-shave cream; those products make the skin more supple and less likely to be cut or irritated. I would imagine that putting a brushless cream on under a lather would increase slickness and maybe cushion as well. That seems rather redundant but if it works that's all that matters. I have thought about using a brushless under a lather before but never got around to it.

I did my first pass without the creme today, and it is most definitely a better shave with it. I applied it for the second and third pass and had very little feedback from the alum.

when my local shave shop moved to a new location in town they marked their Penhaligon's and Floris soaps, creams, and EDC down to 80% off

Needless to say I now have a lifetime supply of these products and a LOT less cash to spend on other things :yesnod:

Top Bottom