What's new

Bought a Hario V60 Dripper today. Need filters! :S

In my quest to satisfy the coffee geek and tightwad in me at the same time, I bought a Hario V60 dripper today in my first 'pour-over' coffee experience.

I bought some Melita #2 filters which I thought would fit, but they don't really without doing some creative paper-folding.

Does anyone here use this dripper? If so, what filters do you use? It would be great to source them locally. Thanks!

I get my Hario cone filters online as they are not available here locally for me either :sad:

The standard size Chemex will fit but they are going to be a little tall. Not a game changer and you should be able to find Chemex filters locally to hold you over until you can put together an online order from somewhere.

Hario V60 with Chemex filter in it

proxy.php

Hario V60 with a Hario filter in it

proxy.php

Hario v60 filters are difficult to find locally, though I have seen them at Crate & Barrel. They come in a couple of different sizes and bleached or unbleached.

Like you, I will sometimes use a folded Melita #4, like this picture below demonstrates. But I do prefer the Hario ones.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. This AM, I actually just folded a Mr. Coffee filter from my 4-cup drip------worked fine with one strategic fold! I'm not sure the 'right' filters would be any better, so I may just stick with them.

I was feeling frisky this morning as I found my long lost 10 cup Chemex brewer so I took some pics of the various pour over filters

clockwise starting in the upper left:

Kalita Wave | Hario V60 (large) | Melitta #4 | Chemex (standard round top)

proxy.php

The Hario V60 and Chemex are the same fold/angle. The Chemex is just a little taller is the only difference

proxy.php

Hario on top of the Chemex

proxy.php

THe biggest problem with the V60 is that the filters aren't available everywhere. For that reason alone the BeeHouse Melita style may be the winner for most folks. For those interested in skipping the paper filter altogether I have found that the Able Brewing Kone works in the V60 as well.

V shape, 60º angle. The Japanese are so practical in their naming :wink2:

Ben
I have always liked the name too, simple and straight forward but with a technical edge. As if they might have tried other shapes, such as v50 or v75 only to discover that 60 degrees works best. Though I suspect it is also about visual appeal and the balance given by this shape rather than strictly the brewing dynamics.

I use mine almost every day (I have one ceramic and two glass with the plastic base). Luckily there are a lot of places to buy filters around here including a cafe 3 blocks from our condo. Six bucks for 100 bleached seems to be the going rate in a flooded market.

Overall, I find the v60 works best for me in the pour over realm. I would like to try the Kalita Wave at some point. When I lived in NYC one of my most frequented coffee houses started using them for their pour overs and got great results.

Ben

Top Bottom