What's new

Side Jobs

Right now I am working part time and going to school part time. I am looking to find something to do to earn some additional income. Obviously, another part time job is an option, albeit tricky, and I'm looking at those, but I'm also interested in hearing about atypical, "outside the box" side jobs that maybe some B&B members do to earn additional money. I'm willing to entertain any licit ideas that can fit around my current schedule.

All advice, suggestions, recommendations, smarty pants jokes are appreciated.

:thumbup1:

If your old enough to remember the TV show friends, you could always do like Joey and become a hand model.:tongue_sm

I understand what your going through. I work full-time, go to school full-time and have a wife and 4 kids. It's a busy life, but I'm almost done my schooling. My side job is basically my full-time job on the side, which is knowledge specific so it probably won't help you.
Hopefully some other members have some good ideas
Good luck.

Any chance of picking up some work in the area that you're pursuing in school? That'll give you an advantage when you finish school and start interviewing for a full time job. Also, look to see if any companies in the industry offer internship programs. I was able to get on with a program where I worked full time one semester and went to school full time the next semester. Plus they paid for some of my tuition.

Get certified to teach something and teach it, if that's your thing. I teach firearms and self defense courses whenever the mood/need strikes and it's very rewarding.

I'm in the same (monetary) situation. I work full time, no school, single, but due to the economy I make just about enough to make ends meet and that's it. I'm looking for a part time job or secondary revenue stream to use for a Euro trip I'm planning on for next year, extras, and putting a little aside. So toss those ideas out there!

In the past I've done silver and gold bullion on Ebay, but that market's a bit goofy now and Ebay/Paypal fees have changed to make it fairly difficult to chase an extra buck that way.

Working as a Cooler in a Gentlemen's Club is very rewarding.

proxy.php

You could sell blood... No, seriously. I work in a plasma donation clinic (amongst other places), and my brother does it to supplement his part-time job while he's in school. Heck, depending upon local laws and company policy, you could probably work there as a blood-sucker (AKA phlebotomist). I know that my position is the only one that requires previous certification, and I'm a supervisor (which I will admit is something I never thought I would do) in addition to basically doing every other job, when the need arises. Payment for donations runs from 75-50 dollars per session, depending. You can help save a life and make a little extra scratch at the same time.
Past that, well, if you want "out of the box" jobs, I can steer you away from "Exotic Dancing". Yeah, the tips were good, but the hours sucked. Plus, trying to stay in the requisite shape can make you a bit neurotic.

Last edited:
Do you own a car and know your way around the city? As far as flexibility is concerned, I think it would be pretty tough to beat Uber (info here) as a side job.

Having further reflected on my original post in this thread, I think it was within the ambit of a smarty pants joke, as solicited by the OP. Still, I regret that anyone took offense.

Do you own a car and know your way around the city? As far as flexibility is concerned, I think it would be pretty tough to beat Uber (info here) as a side job.

Having further reflected on my original post in this thread, I think it was within the ambit of a smarty pants joke, as solicited by the OP. Still, I regret that anyone took offense.

That would be a lot of fun.

I have thought of this situation myself. I hope to hang up full time work when I am 55. One chap at work took this job where companies would fly him to a city and then have him drive a car back to our area. I have no idea of whether this is financially feasible for the company but he like the ability to travel around the country on another person's nickel.

Me? I would go for the above but my dream job would be taste and quality tester at the local brewery and gastropub. What? No one has a job like that? Well they'd better invent it because I want to apply for it.

Cheers, Todd

I have thought of this situation myself. I hope to hang up full time work when I am 55. One chap at work took this job where companies would fly him to a city and then have him drive a car back to our area. I have no idea of whether this is financially feasible for the company but he like the ability to travel around the country on another person's nickel.

My local car rental place (an Enterprise) has a gaggle of retired guys hanging around who ferry cars from one rental location to another. Have no idea what it pays but it would be a pretty neat job. No flying though, just moving cars from X to Y.

If you are looking for something truly offbeat, consider submitting your resume to local funeral homes for casual work. I worked for 6 months casually as a Funeral Director's Assistant, drove hearses, getting people to sign memorial books, assisting with sound, etc etc. Certainly is not for everyone, cannot be considered a fun job, but can be very rewarding.

I work as a sports official on the side. If you have experience in a sport and an interest in officiating, almost any local officials association would be glad to have you. There will be some upfront costs - uniform, dues - but after that you are essentially getting paid to run up and down a field/court/rink.

I worked as a security guard at a local hospital. Lots of sitting and reading. Several of my co-workers were in college and used certain stations to complete homework. Rarely had any actually "security" work. Lots of locking and unlocking doors and quite a bit of walking. I only accepted shifts that fit my schedule - primarily weekends. Swing shifts, grave-yards, days. Any shift worked for me. I also enjoyed working holidays because it was all time and a half and hospitals are not that busy on holidays.

Last edited:
Pizza delivery? Work at a car wash. My teen son's friends that do that can make as much as $350 in tips on a Saturday.

Top Bottom