What's new

Just another Hone ID

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gamma
Ok
Laugh if you want to.

But - has anyone tested their coticule with a rare earth magnet?
I don't have one here - I may pick one up today if I can get one at the hardware store.

Here's my thinking - you can attract a garnet with a magnet, but it has to be a super strong magnet like a cobalt or neodymium.
Since Cotis often have a rather high concentration of garnets - I'm wondering if the garnet count would be enough for the magnetic field to show some amount of attraction?

Yeah - it's a stretch. A big stretch. Huge even. But it's worth a shot I think.
Maybe just scraping off some onto a sheet of paper would free up enough garnets for the magnet to grab them?

Ok - done thinking now. Going back to my test razor.

Just tested with a neodymium magnet, not enough power to pull up dryed coti slurry from the stone, but after some dry lapping with DMT 125 it catched some of the dust!

The same with the mystery stone..... Have to check this with a microscope later....

greets Sebastian

Interesting.

It is very easy to explain, the coticule contains a little amount of Iron oxide, and this is magnetic....
If you try with BBW (here the iron oxide is responsible for the colour) there is much more magnetic pull.

So in my mystery stone the rusty colour explains the magnetic pull, and even the fine results (as iron oxide is abrassive as we all know, and very fine).

Still don`t know where this stone came from :(.

greets Sebastian.

Thanks for the explanation.

That's why I posed the question. I grew up collecting, cutting, and polishing stones.
Streak tests, flame tests, acid tests - etc - were nearly a daily occurrence.
With a good magnet, you can pick a small garnet up off the table.

Top Bottom