What's new

Missouri Meerschaum Brand Pipe Tobacco

The brand that makes some of our favorite pipes will now be coming out with their own brand of tobacco. The Master Blender for the company's new line of tobacco? None other than Russ Ouelette. The man behind the Hearth & Home line.

$missouri-meerschaum-tobacco-725.jpg

Russ tells PipesMagazine.com:
"The first four are from a project that’s been about a year in the works, and they will be the first pipe tobaccos to bear the Missouri Meerschaum name. They will come in pouches and cover the major categories. Country Gentleman is a Virginia blend with some Perique and a hint of dark-fired Kentucky. American Patriot is a Latakia-based mixture with Virginias and Orientals with a light Bourbon top-note. Great Dane is an aromatic blend, with a good share of steamed black Cavendish, and a deep cherry flavor with a hint of vanilla. Finally, Missouri Pride is a mixture of ready-rubbed Burleys and Virginias with minimal flavor [added], for an honest American-style blend. Besides being the first tobaccos under the MM banner, what makes them distinctly different, is that, while they’ll smoke nicely in any pipe, they’ve been formulated to taste their best when smoked in a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob. These blends will be available to retailers in sleeves, through Meier & Dutch, our wholesale sister-company."

The debut of the tobacco will be at the upcoming pipe show in Chicaco from May 2nd-4th. You can read the full article at Pipes Magazine's website

So, what do you guys think? I don't doubt Russ' abilities and the fact that they're coming in pouches could help cut down on costs, which may be passed on to the consumer, maybe:blush:.

The naming is a little off for me. American Patriot-is a Latakia based blend? (Though English Blends, traditionally, had Latakia parts). To me, it would have made more (historical) sense if the America Patriot was the Aromatic Cavendish blend. Maybe I'm looking into this too much...

I would like to try all of them except the Great Dane.

A name is just a name, I think they have to play up the patriotic angle because "Missouri" is in their name, marketing and what not. Country Gentleman sounds like a good blend. Looking forward to this!

I'm looking forward to trying the American Patriot and the Great Dane. You all can have and keep the other two blends. :lol:

I think if you go to the Chicago pipe show they'll either be selling it or giving out free samples.

I think if you go to the Chicago pipe show they'll either be selling it or giving out free samples.

I can only dream of having the time and money to make it to Chicago for such a purpose. *sigh* I'm sure it will be available from some vendors at some point.

This is where we shamelessly guilt trip Ed into getting samples for all of us.

I mean, if you want to keep your best steward status, this follows that progression.

I plan on being there, there will most likely be a Chicago Pipe Show PIF coming soon after. If Ed or anyone wants to meet up there let me know.

Drew

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I like the sound of that. I'm a brand-loyal type of guy, and I'd be happy to support MM even more.

Drat. I had forgotten about this. My list keeps getting longer. Double drat!

American Patriot is also the name of a latakia blend made by Sterling, and the same comment was made in the Sterling thread.

I plan on being there, there will most likely be a Chicago Pipe Show PIF coming soon after.

I'm in! :lol: Too early?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I look forward to these, very interested at what price point they will be offered and whether they'll be available in bulk.

I look forward to these, very interested at what price point they will be offered and whether they'll be available in bulk.

Agreed. It's interesting that they're 1.5 oz bags. Like Kilroy said, I like supporting a brand, especially a reliable one like MM.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
All of the standard Sutliff tins, and the Hearth and Home tins (which Sutliff produces) are only 1.5oz. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the manufacturer of these blends as well.

I still stand by Sutliff having its hidden gems amongst the goopy aromatics...

Regardless, this is interesting. Why? Because they sound like halfway decent blends, that might actually find their way into places like CVS/Wallgreens/Rite-Aid. In other words, new otc blends that might be worth buying. Not that I imagine them to be anything SPECTACULAR, but who knows, they might be a good standby when you just need a pouch of 'baccy.

I still stand by Sutliff having its hidden gems amongst the goopy aromatics...

Regardless, this is interesting. Why? Because they sound like halfway decent blends, that might actually find their way into places like CVS/Wallgreens/Rite-Aid. In other words, new otc blends that might be worth buying. Not that I imagine them to be anything SPECTACULAR, but who knows, they might be a good standby when you just need a pouch of 'baccy.

Not even all of Sutliff's aro's are goopy. They have a few aro blends that are pretty spot on for moisture level.

It would be cool to see some new OTC blends, unfortunately the taxes in NY would still mean there's no way I'd be buying it locally.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think the Sutliff blends have come around since MacBaren bought them from Altadis. When Altadis was in charge things really were bad.

Top Bottom