What's new

what are your thoughts of XXL str8s? has anybody tried a 12/8 razor?

imagine shaving with a 12/8 wedge. with an ultra thick spine.. what are your thoughts? have you tried shaving with a +9/8 thick wedgy meat cleaver?. how does it shaves?.

the biggest razors i shaved with are W&B and a Jackson smith. both around 7/8 ( the ones you see them now). my W&B is thicker and heavier. it took me 3 sessions to hone it XD. and that is my favorite razor. the other shave the same. but is slightly lighter. i love thick beefy wedges. they give me the best and most comfortable shaves.

but comparing them to 9/8 and above. how will a 9/8 up to 12/8 shave?.

Shaved with a 10/8 wostenholm near wedge for about a month. I can shave with it whenever i want as my buddy up the road owns it. It's a great piece but I prefer 8/8 to 6/8 extra hollow with the 13/16 being my preference.

I personally consider anything over a 7/8 a novelty shave and not for every day. The smaller razors are much more nimble and easy to shave with. I did go through the 8/8+ phase like many others and it was fun while it lasted but settled back down to 6/8-7/8 for daily shaves.

I don't have any right now but I have in the past. There are a lot of very good Japanese razors out there. I have 3 Swedes and a Filarmonica now.

I've got a Brian Brown 10/8 custom. It's not what I'd call an everyday use razor but it's more than capable of delivering an easy BBS shave.

$BB4.jpg

I personally consider anything over a 7/8 a novelty shave and not for every day. The smaller razors are much more nimble and easy to shave with. I did go through the 8/8+ phase like many others and it was fun while it lasted but settled back down to 6/8-7/8 for daily shaves.

Ditto!!

A 7/8 blade sometimes blocks my view of some areas of my face. I couldn't imagine using anything bigger.. Then again, all my blades get used on a regular basis. No show ... All go.

We sometimes fall into the trap .. If a little bit is good, more is better, and too much is just right!

That said... Whatever floats yer boat.

The point where form outweighs function and becomes a silly novelty item. Try to turn on this.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397486854.009046.jpg

Last edited:
So I have to confess, I am struck with a bit of envy when I see plus size monsters. However, I have a few 8/8 in my to-do box and for some reasons, they never made it to the top and are still seating in their box, waiting for attention.
I am perfectly happy with 5/8 and I like shaving with my 4/8 as well (especially, when it comes to getting under the nose).

Ditto!!

A 7/8 blade sometimes blocks my view of some areas of my face. I couldn't imagine using anything bigger.. Then again, all my blades get used on a regular basis. No show ... All go.

We sometimes fall into the trap .. If a little bit is good, more is better, and too much is just right!

That said... Whatever floats yer boat.

Royce logic hits hard. i guess i am also obsessed about extra large razors. i will be trying it once. and see how it goes. at least now i will have all sizes. still i don't have small razors. and i don't need them.

"too much sugar will not make your tea sweeter. it will ruin it".

this applies here. .I guess i will have my razor 10/8 instead of 12/8. 10/8 is way too big anyways. i want it big and functional at the same time.

Royce logic hits hard. i guess i am also obsessed about extra large razors. i will be trying it once. and see how it goes. at least now i will have all sizes. still i don't have small razors. and i don't need them.

"too much sugar will not make your tea sweeter. it will ruin it".

this applies here. .I guess i will have my razor 10/8 instead of 12/8. 10/8 is way too big anyways. i want it big and functional at the same time.

Yes, I hear you. I would like to test those boundaries for myself as well.

Top Bottom