What's new

what are your thoughts of XXL str8s? has anybody tried a 12/8 razor?

i think you would get used to it. i was commenting to myself how i could run the 10/8s everyday no issue now, but i am not one of those guys that thinks a big razor is hard to get under the nose or other issues..

i think the bigger issue when you are at 12/8s is the handling nd the scales. i don't know for sure the dimensions but the spines continue to increase in width as they get bigger to keep the angles proper and then you have the scales balancing out the blade and make sure that it's manageable to strop and hold, as some of these customs can be kind of interesting designs.

i had to move from my 3in strop to a smaller one for this blade as it just was hard to strop without feeling like i was gonna ruin the strop or miss part of the blade. however mine is a smiling version with a sharp point.. having to rehone this blade to my liking was probably more than many other would enjoy doing for a shave, but i kind of find the rolling strokes relaxing

proxy.php

I need to talk to Jenes about this. I am not a fan of the rolling x stroke. A 7/8 wade and butcher smiling wedge took me 3 sessions. But in all honesty. It was WORTH IT!. It was months ago. And it holds an edge more than a hollow( half hollow in my case since I have a GD) it will need some refreshing after a while and that is all. I am having a feeling that me honing my own is better than letting someone do it for me. Also I noticed too sharp may not be better. Probably I am the only anomaly on this one. I just feel that I need something sharp enough to shave comfortably. And still not too sharp that irritates my skin. Maybe "bigger" may not be better also. I totally ignored how will I hold it between my fingers with very wide scales. I must keep an eye on this point.

Btw. That is one awesome razor :D. Enjoy this fabulous piece of steel!.it Is so big and beautiful.

I think many of us think that ultra super sharp is not the way to go. Bigger has no correlation with edge betterness. It's just fun.

If the itch is there, nothing else is gonna scratch it. And since larger razors aren't as available, it's a curiosity thing.

Lots of people aren't fans of the rolling stroke, but once you learn it, you're good.

There is one thing I don't understand is why people like 3/8-5/8s razors. I hear the rationale but it doesn't digest well for me.

I think many of us think that ultra super sharp is not the way to go. Bigger has no correlation with edge betterness. It's just fun.

If the itch is there, nothing else is gonna scratch it. And since larger razors aren't as available, it's a curiosity thing.

Lots of people aren't fans of the rolling stroke, but once you learn it, you're good.

There is one thing I don't understand is why people like 3/8-5/8s razors. I hear the rationale but it doesn't digest well for me.

What are the rationales I'm trying to figure that out myself... I like 7/8 and larger much better

11/16ths is the ideal depth for a straight razor. 6/8ths is acceptable if you expect to hone it frequently. Anything other than that is heresy and will cause your teeth and hair to fall out.

3/8-9/16ths are for speed shaving. I could do a pass with a morris sculpter edge in about ten seconds.

Typically i hear that agility and manureavability :) is higher on the smaller blades. The only smaller blade that ever interested me was the TIPTLEs and that totally was from a historic aspect and not size. If it was a bit bigger, i'd be tracking one done.

13/16 fits my face and hands best. I have trouble achieving the right angle while shaving with amything under that and find it to be a real pita shaving with them. Not only that, you have to clean smaller blades far more frequently during the shave. I always get the sensation thay the 5/8 and below want to flip forward and bite into my face.

I have razors from 5/8 to 7/8 and can't say that the larger blades are more difficult. I do find the extra weight of the larger blades nicer to shave with. The extra weight in my hand seems to give me better control and the extra width will hold a ton of lather before rinsing is needed.

Top Bottom