What's new

what are your thoughts of XXL str8s? has anybody tried a 12/8 razor?

So I have to confess, I am struck with a bit of envy when I see plus size monsters. However, I have a few 8/8 in my to-do box and for some reasons, they never made it to the top and are still seating in their box, waiting for attention.
I am perfectly happy with 5/8 and I like shaving with my 4/8 as well (especially, when it comes to getting under the nose).

Same with me. I like the 5/8 and probably use one 90% of the time. When I was starting out I thought the larger razors were easier to use but as I gained experienced I liked the smaller, nimble sizes.

my daily shavers are 17/16ths and 8/8ths... i have big hands and the little razors just don't cut it... *(get it?? cut it!!.... i'll be here all week...)

I want to try a really big razor too. I recently saw a barbers razor that was marked 2 inch. It only had 7/8 left, but I can't stop thinking about what a brute it must have been.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397495718.327964.jpg

I forget who made this... I think it was ken Edwards.... But the smaller razor is an 8/8 if I remember correctly

Like many, I find 13/16-7/8 to be the sweet spot so far. Bigger looks awesome but is not always as easy to wield. I guess it also depends on the type of shape of face you have.

But again, 8/8 and more just look so badass, its half the fun of shaving with a straight!

I like anything from 13/16 -8/8 but have found a smiling 15/16 to be my sweet spot. Ive found that the larger the razor, the more important the shape of the blade is, at least for me.

Like most of you, I've come to find my sweet spot with razor widths is anywhere from 6/8" to 7/8". That said, I am consistently impressed with the performance my "little" 5/8" razors when I use them.

8/8" is the biggest razor I own and I can't see using as an everyday razor. I can't imagine using anything larger.

Ive been using a 10/8s lately and it feels that much bigger than a 9/8s, not unlike the move from 5/8s to 6/8s.. or to the 14 size

I dont think i'd like much larger blade widths than 10/8s. Its fun to use and ogle at..

i just don't want it too big that it becomes a novelty. like the 23/8 razor. i saw it at SRP. my guess is 10/8 is much bigger than my 7/8. but stiil usable. but a 12/8. maybe a little awkward to use

After a couple shaves, it's cake. I was thinking last night how accustomed to to the 10/8s I had become compared to the first 1or 2 uses.

i think you would get used to it. i was commenting to myself how i could run the 10/8s everyday no issue now, but i am not one of those guys that thinks a big razor is hard to get under the nose or other issues..

i think the bigger issue when you are at 12/8s is the handling nd the scales. i don't know for sure the dimensions but the spines continue to increase in width as they get bigger to keep the angles proper and then you have the scales balancing out the blade and make sure that it's manageable to strop and hold, as some of these customs can be kind of interesting designs.

i had to move from my 3in strop to a smaller one for this blade as it just was hard to strop without feeling like i was gonna ruin the strop or miss part of the blade. however mine is a smiling version with a sharp point.. having to rehone this blade to my liking was probably more than many other would enjoy doing for a shave, but i kind of find the rolling strokes relaxing

proxy.php

i think you would get used to it. i was commenting to myself how i could run the 10/8s everyday no issue now, but i am not one of those guys that thinks a big razor is hard to get under the nose or other issues..

i think the bigger issue when you are at 12/8s is the handling nd the scales. i don't know for sure the dimensions but the spines continue to increase in width as they get bigger to keep the angles proper and then you have the scales balancing out the blade and make sure that it's manageable to strop and hold, as some of these customs can be kind of interesting designs.

i had to move from my 3in strop to a smaller one for this blade as it just was hard to strop without feeling like i was gonna ruin the strop or miss part of the blade. however mine is a smiling version with a sharp point.. having to rehone this blade to my liking was probably more than many other would enjoy doing for a shave, but i kind of find the rolling strokes relaxing

proxy.php

Is that a Douglas cutlery?

The point where form outweighs function and becomes a silly novelty item. Try to turn on this.
View attachment 436487

I agree. The huge "For Barber's Use" razors are fun to play with (I'm guilty, I have a few of them), but the true performance lies under the 8/8 realm. Ever try to shave your moustache with an 8/8 or bigger? Either you do the coup de gras in a blind act of faith, or sideways in tiny strokes. Bigger isn't always better.

Top Bottom