What's new

Leather care?

So I pulled the trigger on a pair of redwing moc toe boots. I purchased these knowing that they are an investment I want to make them last as long as possible in good condition. What are your recommendations? I normally just polish leather but I know their is a lot more you can do it's overwhelming to me so what are your opinions? Thank you I don't want my 260 dollar shoes to wear out sooner then they have too.

Figure out what model you have bought and get whatever Red Wing recommends you use on them. My boots require no polish but a boot oil.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Great suggestions, Obennauf's is great stuff as well, just understand that it will temporarily darken the leather (as in for a few weeks).

Ok so I just got the boots and I purchased red wing boot oil what they recommend for harness leather. 3 coats later it's still soaking it up faster then I can put on and I think the leather is cracked I'm not sure if its just crease marks on the tounge and side of the ankle part because that's the only places they are? Should I re oil them lets say a week or two from now because the leather is very thirsty and I've never heard of someone doing 3 coats before its concerning. Who knows how long they were in a warehouse.

Back in the day I used Red Wing oil on my Red Wing 1155 boots. They gave it away for free at the shoe store. Even when at their dire worst, my 1155s never took more than a couple swipes of oil (with a 3" paint brush) and they were done. Boots soaking that much oil?That's a new one on me

$redwing 1155.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I believe I can do at Least another coat or two I'm going to give it a week or two though. It's black bridle leather if that makes a difference. And the seam at one part is soaked with it but no where else just the seam.

Stop oiling them, they don't need that much. They come from the factory with enough oil for probably a year of gentle use. You're going to weaken the stitching if you keep up this quantity of oiling.

I presume these were new and not used ones?

The fact that the leather keeps absorbing the oil doesn't meant they "need more". It just means that your saturating them. The leather will get more creasy if they're oiled more, which might explain the "cracking" your seeing. Stop oiling them now. Let them dry out for some time. (like, a few days since you saturated them). Stuff them with loosely crumpled paper or something to help them hold their shape in the meantime.

Top Bottom