What's new

New Suitheart

Amazing stone. Simply amazing.
I have more than a few good Suita nagura - this one is exceptional.

$Wedge Suita Tomo 1.jpg

Hard to explain. It's like when I have a great Suita and I say 'this is a great stone - but I wish it was.....

This nubbin has everything that follows the 'was'.....

I picked two from a photo of a box that held 8 of them, both are awesome - this one is going to be a pet Tomo for a good long while I think though.

I'm finding that, with honing, the less I dissect things scientifically - the happier I am.
That's not to say I don't push the knowledge ceiling higher every day - I do.
But - at the end of the day I rely more on my guts, intuition, and experience than numbers and the same old list of adjectives we banter around in a seemingly endless fashion.

Fine - how fine - what does fine mean exactly?
Is one stone really finer than another stone, or is there another factor involved?
Is the fact that I get consistently keener smoother edges off one stone the result of it being finer?
Maybe - maybe not.

When I was lapping this Tomo the slurry felt special, different actually, and I made a mental note it would play well with the other Tomo in the photo. I was very right about that; its a match made in heaven.
The other one is a very rare/special/exceedingly wonderful piece of Karasu I cut out of a broken hone; not so easy to use but it's a killer piece of stone for me.

Adjectives are fine - but this is more about a certain kind of feeling I get when handling the stone.
Honing scientists abhor this type of thing, they believe they can 'figure' it all out - even though their scientific processes are by no means 'scientific' or all that comprehensive.
This is all fine by me. Everyone has their own path. It's yet to be proven that someone inspecting every edge with a microscope actually shaves or hones any better than I do.

It's like certain cameras - some suit me, others do not.
I'm not convinced I need to know why that is, in an exacting sense.
I just need to know which ones work for me, and I usually do within seconds after I pick it up - and that's usually enough for me.

Last edited:
So... you picked it up and by the feel of it in your hand you knew what it would work with. Perhaps there was divine intervention involved?

Honestly that description was nothing short of a riddle and can't see how it could help anyone.

If you were just thinking out loud on forum paper thats cool and at the end of the day it's hone candy and I thank you for posting the nice picture.

I get what Keith is talking about. If you read the essay "Rationalism in Politics" by Michael Oakeshott, then you'll see the following footnote:

Duke Huan of Ch`i was reading a book at the upper end of the hall: the wheelwright was making a wheel at the lower end. Putting aside his mallet and chisel, he called to the Duke and asked him what book he was reading. 'One that records the words of the Sages.' answered the Duke. 'Are those Sages alive?` asked the wheelwright. 'Oh, no.` said the Duke. 'they are dead. ''In that case.` said the wheelwright. 'what you are reading can be nothing but the lees and scum of bygone men. `'How dare you, a wheelwright, find fault with the book I am reading. If you can explain your statement. I will let it pass. If not, you shall die. 'Speaking as a wheelwright.' he replied.' l look at the matter in this way: when I am making a wheel, if my stroke is too slow, then it bites deep but is not steady: if my stroke is too fast, then it is steady. but it does not go deep. The right pace, neither slow nor fast. cannot get into the hand unless it comes from the heart. It is a thing that cannot be put into words [rules]: there is an art in it that I cannot explain to my son. That is why it is impossible for me to let him take over my work, and here I am at the age of seventy still making wheels. In my opinion it must have been the same with the men of old. All that was worth handing on. died with them: the rest, they put in their books. That is why I said that what you were reading was the lees and scum of bygone men.' Chuang Tzu.

I think Keith is saying pretty much the same thing as the wheelwright, but feel free to correct me if I get that wrong.

Btw, anyone else think the Duke is a bit too touchy about his books?

Anyhow, I just thought it would be nice to share the characteristics of the piece of stone.
Heavy and dense. Light and fluffy. Smooth. Gritty. Fast. Fine. etc.
You don't have to share. It's your ball and you can take it home. lol.

Top Bottom