What's new

Arrowheads, points, and other pre-Columbian artifacts

Does anyone else hunt for these? It seems that the Southeast is covered in these. Every time a field is tilled or we get a good rain they turn up. I found this Neolithic quartz point near a lake in Newton County, Georgia. I find these all around our home too. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397401584.700946.jpg

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used to have 3 or 4 but I have no clue what happened to them over the years.

when I was a kid living in Sheridan, IL we had a house that butted up to a big field. Every season when it was plowed up I would walk through looking for arrowheads, found a few of them there. But like I said...what happened to them? No clue.

I found my first point when I was a deputy sheriff and was looking for some bad guy. An old timer was tilling his garden an I saw a large quartz axe or spear point lying on the surface. He said it was just a rock to him so I took it and my collection began. I've since been reading archeology articles and it's like having a time machine. I find a point and I can see back in time thousands of years to when men were hunting camel and mammoths in what is no my front yard.

Had a few, but out here they're tough to come by. So much rock in the areas where they lived I imagine they got destroyed quite easily. Here in the valley, it's all peat dirt and things sink.

I often imagine the scene of men tracking a Tule Elk through the marshes of what is now Sherman island and Bacon Island, hiding in the cattails on a foggy morning. Giving chase through 50* marshes. Much like I have done before, but with a camera instead of an atlatl.

Fascinating stuff.

-Xander

Top Bottom