What's new

Need help with sealing tobacco in mason jars

Hey Guys,

I've been reading around on the inter webs and through some posts here but I'm having a very hard time sealing some tobacco in mason jars. My understanding is after the baccy is in the jar, you tighten the lid and then put it in boiling water for 15 mins or so, then let it cool and you should hear a pop. I'm not hearing any popping, so I must not be doing it right.

A) Is this the correct method?

B) Will boiling tobacco in a glass jar damage it at all? I know its used for jams and home canning, but you want to pasteurize that stuff some. I'm not sure if it affects the more "delicate" flavors of tobacco.

C) Any pointers?

Thanks guys, I know somebody here can point me in the right direction, and its hugely appreciated.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have never done anything except hand tighten the rings. Aftr a short while (weeks) the jars will actually seal themselves with a slight vacuum.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For long term storage, I wash the jars and lids well and let them dry. Add my baccy, then I use a Food Saver Jar Sealer:

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...7369680&sr=8-1&keywords=food+saver+jar+sealer

with the Food Saver Handheld Vacuum Sealer:

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSF...=1397369752&sr=8-7&keywords=food+saver+sealer

Works great. I get a vacuum seal, and its cheap insurance to make sure everything stays sealed up well. The only other tip is to make sure you don't have any stray bits of tobacco on the jar rim when you put the lid on--those will get in the way of a good seal.

Wash the lids in hot water before you put the lid on the jar. That will moisten the gasket and make it seal better. 15 minutes is too long, although it may not damage the tobacco. You want to just get the inside of the jar a bit warmer than the outside temp. Once you remove the jar from the water bath, tighten the ring on the jar and you will soon hear the pop. I have been using this method of storing tobacco for over 10 years and have had no problems.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have never done anything except hand tighten the rings. Aftr a short while (weeks) the jars will actually seal themselves with a slight vacuum.
Yep. Make sure no loose tobacco is on the lip, put lid on, and tighten. I have a few that I did just this on and after a year took the lid off. You hear that satisfying sound of a seal being broken. The hot water bath is unnecessary.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Wash the lids in hot water before you put the lid on the jar. That will moisten the gasket and make it seal better. 15 minutes is too long, although it may not damage the tobacco. You want to just get the inside of the jar a bit warmer than the outside temp. Once you remove the jar from the water bath, tighten the ring on the jar and you will soon hear the pop. I have been using this method of storing tobacco for over 10 years and have had no problems.

So you put the lid on loosely, and tighten it immediately after you take it out of the bath?

Yep. Make sure no loose tobacco is on the lip, put lid on, and tighten. I have a few that I did just this on and after a year took the lid off. You hear that satisfying sound of a seal being broken. The hot water bath is unnecessary.

Owen, so you don't heat the jar at all, just tighten?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, so you don't heat the jar at all, just tighten?
That is it. I do wash them prior, but let them dry thoroughly, so temperature isn't an issue. I pack them pretty full, so the anaerobic activity takes place quickly. That anaerobic activity creates the vacuum.

Heating accomplishes two things:
1. Sterilization
2. Air expansion, which causes air to burp out, then once it cools the air contracts and pulls down the lid button

You want to avoid cooking the tobacco.

I'm not sure you'll hear it pop, but if you push down on the center of the lid it should be depressed/taut rather than sticking up a little. Compare to an unsealed jar where when you press down you can feel it move.

Thanks to Stevew443, who also posted above, from whom I extracted very good information about sealing the jars starting here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/391792-How-long-to-age?p=5995584#post5995584

I have 2 1/2 pounds of P&C BOTR still waiting for me to seal it. Seems I'm too lazy to do it his way, which I think is more correct, so I might just do it like oc_in_fw and Commander Quan. Who knows how much flavor I've lost already, I know its scent has reduced significantly already.

+1. No heat needed. This is just like the sterilization of DE razors debate, you don't need an autoclave. Don't over-do it. Fill the jar up, hand-tighten and store in a cool, dark place.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There's a lot of opinion on the internet about this issue. I think there's a big difference between jarring for short term storage, say 1 to 5 years, and jarring for long term storage of 10 or more years. I'm at the point in this hobby where I've been laying down some pretty good weight in the seller for long term storage, so that most of my stash will be enjoyed in the 10-20 year range. I've had the privilege to smoke so very old tobaccos--20, 30, 40, and even 60 years. Age does wonderful things and had made me a believer in playing the long game. That's why I use the food saver attachment to make sure I get a good seal. Too much $ invested and too Lin a window to try just a hand se for me. But again, different folks do different things here and lots of people report good results with varying techniques.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There's a lot of opinion on the internet about this issue. I think there's a big difference between jarring for short term storage, say 1 to 5 years, and jarring for long term storage of 10 or more years. I'm at the point in this hobby where I've been laying down some pretty good weight in the seller for long term storage, so that most of my stash will be enjoyed in the 10-20 year range. I've had the privilege to smoke so very old tobaccos--20, 30, 40, and even 60 years. Age does wonderful things and had made me a believer in playing the long game. That's why I use the food saver attachment to make sure I get a good seal. Too much $ invested and too Lin a window to try just a hand se for me. But again, different folks do different things here and lots of people report good results with varying techniques.
The oldest stuff I have had so far is 1.5 year. Not sure I could wait that long :001_smile

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I noticed some of my tins that I haven't opened in a while "sealed" themselves. I think its likely that even if the lid doesn't "pop," over time some oxygen is used up by microbes or something and it seals itself. I imagine a little oxygen is necessary in the tin for it to age properly, as per pease's article

Top Bottom