What's new

Need a new Deodorant: inexpensive, manly, natural/organic aka no toxic chemicals

Hi All,

I'm in search of a new deodorant that is relatively inexpensive, has a decent masculine scent although no scent is fine too, doesn't have an potentially harmful chemicals, doesn't discolor your shirts in the armpit area or leave much residue.

I don't like the aluminum in antiperspirants and try to avoid those when possible.

I've used a variety of Old Spice deodorants in the past. The blue ones leave a blue tint on my white undershirts. The green one with alcohol would bleach the armpit area of some of my darker shirts, at least on the inside.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Every Man Jack is a good one. The ingredient list is clean, well priced for the quantity (about $7 for 3 ounce stick), and has good scents (signature mint, citrus, sandalwood)

Crystal deodorant is very nice, leaves no residue at all. You can get it at your local health food store and it lasts forever.

A simple alum block is about as natural & cheap as it gets and they're very effective too. Not really much like the aluminum formulated into the deodorant sticks at all. I suppose only you'll know if it's manly enough for ya though...:wink1:

All suggestions sound enticing so far, I'll have to definitely check these out.

I'd say sandalwood in my opinion is a benchmark for a "manly scent."

What's the problem with aluminum?

Sort of personal preference. The antiperspirants using aluminum that I've used, all from the local drug store, usually left a residue and had a burning sensation on me for some reason. I don't get this with any non aluminum sticks except for those with some alcohol but that's a different burning sensation.

Then there's the controversial associations of aluminum causing various cancers and diseases. I believe much of it has been shot down by recent research but certainly not 100%. Again, I just don't want my own body finding out if it's true or not.

The way aluminum feels on me and how my body responds to it is really the deciding factor for me to avoid it when possible.

I would probably still wear it when I really needed to reduce sweat. Like at a wedding or formal gathering that will be in blazing heat. Need all the help I can get in those cases.

Every Man Jack is a good one. The ingredient list is clean, well priced for the quantity (about $7 for 3 ounce stick), and has good scents (signature mint, citrus, sandalwood)

I was at whole foods today and grabbed the cedarwood scented one. Very nice.

I use the Crystal as well. It doesn't have any fragrance at all so it won't clash with any of your cologne and what not. It doesn't block the sweat, but it is great at blocking out odor.

Try some plain vinegar, just put a few drops on your hand and rub it in well. It'll kill all the stinking bacteria and the vinegar smell goes away in just a few minutes. No harmful chemicals, cheap, easy, and no smell. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

I researched this a while back - I was looking for something that was both effective and "natural" - no synthetics, no aluminum, no propylene glycol.

The one thing I found was a product called "Truly's" - a mixture of organic coconut oil, sugar, baking soda, and beeswax. The idea is that a concentrated suspension of sugar osmotically kills bacteria (or inhibits growth). The same principle as honey being an antibacterial for wounds.

The downside is that it's a tub and you have to spread it on with a finger.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it much, but it does seem to reduce odor significantly.

Another vote for Crystal. A stick lasts for well over a year, it's natural, and since it's unscented, you can still add a little scent of your choice. I sometimes use a little Old Spice deo on top of the crystal just for the scent.

Top Bottom