What's new

The Sprout - B&B Gardening 2014

That's some good lookin' stuff! I'd like to try a Carolina Reaper...I think...maybe...just once. Would one of those be enough for 20 gallons of chili?

The end rot on your 'maters may be caused by not enough calcium. SWMBO had a few tomato plants in planters (besides what was in the regular garden) with the watering thing underneath that held water. She put a couple of Tums tablets in the water. Also could be too much water, variation in the amount of water they're getting, or maybe too much nitrogen in the soil. That's just a thought.

We're about done with the garden this year except for the load of peppers I need to pick. The habanero, jalapeno, and serrano peppers are still putting out real good. We ate all of the lettuce and radishes, but here's a pic. of some of the stuff we canned: Pickled squash, cucumbers, okra, salsa, tomato juice, green beans, etc. We also have some corn we scraped off of the cob in the chest freezer.

Love the canned stuff! Me and the (soon to be) Mrs did a load of beets about a month ago. Since then, the big project has been the jelly for our wedding favor. 84 little jars of Niagara grape and Red Delicious apple jelly....
I'm going to have to try the Tums thing. The reason it mystified me is that the Roma is the only plant in the garden with end rot. Maybe the others are just taking all of the calcium for themselves.
The Reapers are alleged to max out at 2.4 million Scovilles. I guess that depends on how hot you want that chili :mad5:

I have a pair of reapers from another grower on thehotpepper.com... i was slicing them up and tried a sliver about the size of what you might consider a toe nail clipping - it was unbelievably hot and i would not recommend it for raw consumption. There are some good peach-reaper salsa recipes or maybe add it to a spice blend for a rub or something. It is not even remotely palatable. And thats from a guy who uses ghost peppers and devils tongue peppers regularly.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We are supposed to have a light freeze tonight, so I picked the peppers that were sorta ripe. There are still some green habaneros and baby jalapenos, but I think that's all of the serrano peppers. I'll see how they do when the weather cools off this year.

This is about the third picking of the pepper patch; SWMBO pickled a batch and I dehydrated a batch. I think I'll freeze these. Just freeze in snack bags overnight, then vac pac in single use size.

Attachments

• $079.JPG
    $079.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 41
hey guys,
thanks for a great thread! i am an angeleno, and just getting into gardening. i have patio space with a couple raised beds and potted plants. i did a winter garden last year, and then stalled out over the summer, but have been looking for motivation to get it up and going again. the full series from seedlings to cans in the pantry is inspiring, and i appreciate the effort put in. i don't know how many of you are west coasters or southerners that can manage a winter garden, but i'm going to repost in a couple days with my setup and maybe carry the motivation and enthusiasm torch around to next spring.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We are supposed to have a light freeze tonight, so I picked the peppers that were sorta ripe. There are still some green habaneros and baby jalapenos, but I think that's all of the serrano peppers. I'll see how they do when the weather cools off this year.

This is about the third picking of the pepper patch; SWMBO pickled a batch and I dehydrated a batch. I think I'll freeze these. Just freeze in snack bags overnight, then vac pac in single use size.

Mike,
That's exactly what I want to do come spring. Peppers(all types), tomatoes-cherry and something larger, green onions, cilanto, maybe a lettuce, rosemary, thyme, maybe some beets. I need some help.

Top Bottom