What's new

The Sprout - B&B Gardening 2014

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
New tiller got here...thought I'd post a pic. before I put it to work and it got all...dirty.

Now if it will just dry out enough to use it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooooo. Nice and purty!

Not that purty now.

SWMBO got home and saw it...so she said we had to use it.

We went lengthwise on the disked place with the forward tine rotating setting.

Then lengthwise with the reverse tine setting.

Then went crosswise with the reverse tine setting.

Whew.

But the tilled area is just powder now. And the tiller worked extremely well...better than the old one.

She decided she wants to got north and south on the rows this year instead of east and west like I've always done. We'll see how it goes.

Time to plant!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sweet! I love tillers. They pulverize the dirt and make it so nice to plant. In an ideal world i would have enough space for a big garden with enough room for a small tiller to fit down the rows to chop weeds.

Speaking of gardening, if anyone is on Vancouver Island down towards Victoria. I am more than happy to share weathered strawberry plants that are multiplying like crazy. They were great producers last year.

Last year's strawberry plants survived the winter, them and my dwarf apple trees.
I've planted
Radish
Beetroot
Carrots
Leeks
Red salad Onions
Little gem lettuce
Lollo rosso
Spinach

We always plant the day after Easter. We are in Georgia and the weather has been very odd. Hot and then cold well into April.

This year we are keeping it simple with some hearty heirloom tomatoes, maybe some strawberry that I kept alive in the kitchen over the cold months, onions, and ginger.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've been thinking about a herb garden. They seem very simple and something that can be kept inside too.
It would be nice to have some foliage in the home but I'd like it to be useful foliage.

Any tips? Ideas on how to set it up indoors?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been thinking about a herb garden. They seem very simple and something that can be kept inside too.
It would be nice to have some foliage in the home but I'd like it to be useful foliage.

Any tips? Ideas on how to set it up indoors?

I've never done a herb garden, indoors or out. Looks like it would be neat to try.

Who does everyone use for seeds?

I've been looking at http://www.rareseeds.com/ and http://www.westcoastseeds.com/ . Mind you this will be for next year now or for those that haven't planted yet.

For seeds we usually just get packets at Wally World or Home Depot. They have seemed to work real well. For tomatoes, peppers, etc. that are already started, and onion sets and seed potatoes, we go to a produce stand. A place called Kelley's has three places around here and they always have great plants.

Here's this year's garden tilled, fertilized, and planted. It's overcast today (rained last night after we planted yesterday :biggrin1:) so things are a bit hard to see.

We have:

Onions
Radishes
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Zucchini and yellow squash
Sweet corn
Green beans
Okra
Red Pontiac taters

Guess it's a good thing we didn't start taters and lettuce as early as we usually do...heard that several people lost their potato plants in the freeze about a week ago...even those that had them covered.

And here's my little pepper patch with Habanero, Serrano, and Jalapeno peppers:

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Who does everyone use for seeds?

I've been looking at http://www.rareseeds.com/ and http://www.westcoastseeds.com/ . Mind you this will be for next year now or for those that haven't planted yet.

Walmart or Home Depot/lowes carries a good selection. I've never ordered seeds online.

Everything I planted this year was seeds from last years plants. With the exception of the Zucchini and tomato plants.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Did some transplanting to bigger pots. And almost everything else is coming up. I put one in the ground too as a test. If it makes it I know I'm good to plant the rest straight in the ground. I mixed miracle-gro garden soil in the hole as well

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 72
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 72
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 72

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like the garden is starting to, well...Sprout!

Everything's coming up now but the taters.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
and crap they are all rotated :/ i will have to fix that when I get home

I'm thinking I may have to make a raised bed like you have. Do you have anything under the raised bed? between the ground and the fill-in soil in the bed?

My way of thinking is to simply put a few stakes in the ground and hammer a board to them to make a box and then fill in the box with garden soil or top soil.

I didn't put anything under the boxes because I plant a lot of root vegetables and the ground underneath was all in good order before i dropped the boxes down. I tore up the sod and made sure it wasn't crap dirt I was putting boxes on.

The boxes are just 4x4's in the corner and 2x6's on the sides

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I didn't put anything under the boxes because I plant a lot of root vegetables and the ground underneath was all in good order before i dropped the boxes down. I tore up the sod and made sure it wasn't crap dirt I was putting boxes on.

The boxes are just 4x4's in the corner and 2x6's on the sides
sweet thanks. I've got red clay for dirt here. I'm thinking 6 inches deep of good dirt before the red clay should be good. I've changed my mind about how to plant this garden bout 4 times now :blink:

Yea, id just do some quick and easy boxes like mine and maybe do 2x8's if the red clay doesn't drain too well. Otherside, do 2x6's and plant potatoes in them the first year and they will aerate the ground like nucking futs and make it easier to grow anything.

I doubled the amount of tomato plants from last year. Also some herbs (parsley, basil, and thyme) my m-i-l planted that I thought were dead and gone came back to life too! My vegetable garden in all its glory!!!

$uploadfromtaptalk1399152401437.jpg

Top Bottom